Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Welsh trilogy

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Thu April 9th, 2009, 7:03 pm

If anyone wants a 'native guide' to Hay-on-Wye, look no further - I've lived here for the best part of twenty years! And it is the most wonderful place to live (even though it's a bit expensive!)

I've been to Cardiff a few times, but the motive for going was Doctor Who and Torchwood rather than history! A lot of both the series were filmed there. So I've yet to visit Cardiff Castle, which looks to be well worth a visit for the Victorian splendour.

I spent my childhood going round Conwy, and Caernarvon, and Harlech - and lots of churches in North Wales too, including Ruthin (I think) which has a grave there which was the inspiration for a Victorian poem called "We are Seven", where a little girl insists she's one of seven brothers and sisters, even though one of them is dead.

Another Welsh castle enthusiast is Gabrielle at the blog The Lost Fort - she has some wonderful photos.

And just across the border is Herefordshire, which is presently being immortalised in Phil Rickman's mystery series about Rev Merrily Watkins, the diocesan exorcist! And all the creepy places he writes about really do exist.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri April 10th, 2009, 11:08 am

Eigon, you are very lucky living in Hay!

I recently read my first Phil Rickman book, and can highly recommend him; it was a bit creepy and had a lot of background info about the Templars.

I've only been to Wales once and that was last May, when I went to Tenby for the weekend - pretty town, fabulous beach and the town still has quite a lot of its ancient walls. Lovely countryside too, although yes it does rain quite a bit!

wealcere
Reader

Post by wealcere » Sun April 26th, 2009, 8:29 pm

I feel the need to share my enthusiasm..............
Just finished, Here Be Dragons, fantastic!! This is only my second book of Mrs Penmans, I thought nothing would be able to touch The Sunne in Splendour, how wrong could I be?
It’s funny but after reading her books and others, I have to gain as much information about the side characters as well, not just the main players in the book. To me that says something about a book, when it gets you wanting to do further research on the side characters. Not only that, it says something about a book when it gets me to get my wife to drive the last four hours of the car journey so I can carry on reading.
Honesta Quam Magna
How great are honorable deeds

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun April 26th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Here Be Dragons is my favourite - although I rate them all highly. Glad you enjoyed it Wealcere. Hope your wife wasn't too tired with all that driving!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Loveday
Scribbler

Post by Loveday » Fri November 20th, 2009, 7:45 pm

I know it's been awhile since anyone's posted in this thread, but I'm new, and I just bought The Reckoning yesterday. I had read the first two in the trilogy some years ago, but for some reason never read the third one. Now, after going through this thread, I think I'm going to go back and re-read the others before I start The Reckoning.

I'd better check my stock of tissues before I begin, though. :D
"When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left...er... I buy more books." (Apologies to Erasmus ;) )

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat November 21st, 2009, 2:19 am

Ayup, that book really killed me; I was a wreck for about a week, couldn't read another thing.

sharon
Reader

Welsh Trilogy

Post by sharon » Sun November 29th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Imagine how it was for me, Ash. I was seriously in need of grief counseling by the time I finished The Reckoning. Even though there is always a lot of tragedy in my books, I think this one was the saddest, for the losses to Wales would resonate for centuries. Even as late as the 1920's, children in schools in Wales would be punished for speaking Welsh.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 29th, 2009, 8:50 pm

I remember you telling me about the grief counseling when you were in town then, and I really had never thought of it before, how a book affects the writer as its written. This is esp the case in this book, because you wanted to be historically accurate. You could have made a jolly good ending and made lots of people happy. But that wasn't what happened. And knowing what was coming later made it even hurt more.

4ever Queen
Reader

Post by 4ever Queen » Tue December 1st, 2009, 1:42 am

Personally, after reading Here be Dragons and Falls the Shadow back to back I could not move on to The Reckoning since I needed some respite from all the tears and overwhelming feelings that these two great novels made me feel. :o :o :p This was just last Sept, but I think I am finally ready for it, but not before making sure that I have a full box of tissues next to me. :p I know the Reckoning will come to be another marvelous story that will stay with me forever, but more than that, it’s a very special book already because I got this as a special gift from none other but Sharon herself!! :D :D Sorry all but I really had to boast about this and praise her generosity, I was thrilled when she told me it will be on its way! :p :) :D It’s all autographed and dedicated---it was an awesome birthday gift that I will forever cherish. :)
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue December 1st, 2009, 2:06 am

I would be excited enough to boast too 4ever Queen! Treasure that book!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Sharon Penman”