Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Here Be Dragons--new information

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun May 23rd, 2010, 11:14 pm

[quote=""Momrobare""]What I was surprised about was that Prince/King John was not the tyrant evil monarch I've always read and heard about! .[/quote]

Um, well, there was something about killing hostages and putting a woman and her son in a dungeon to starve to death. You might want to read some other books, esp the recently released To Defy a King. That being said - Sharon does have a way of balancing him out; certainly he had some good traits. One wonders how the balance of good and bad traits would have worked out if he didn't have a dysfuntional family..... :) (welcome, btw!)

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun May 23rd, 2010, 11:18 pm

[quote=""Momrobare""]HI[/quote]

Hi Momrobare and welcome to the forum!
Momrobare wrote:I bought "Here Be Dragons" when it first came out because I thought it was a fantasy novel about dragons which I was into at the time! LOL.
:D Great way to find a book.
Momrobare wrote:And I have absolutely LOVED Eleanor of Aquatain since I first saw the Katherine Hepburn film The Lion in Winter! :)
In that case I strongly recommend that you DON'T read Alison Weir's new novel about her. :eek:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 23rd, 2010, 11:28 pm

BTW, speaking of HBD just for fun I started a list at Goodreads called Hunk in History. At GR everyone can vote and/or add a book so you never know what you'll get in the end.

So far Here be Dragons (Llewllyn Fahr) has a one vote lead over The Greatest Knight (William Marshal) with Outlander (Jamie Fraser) and Katherine (John of Gaunt) are tied at third place. Go and vote,

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/5443 ... in_History
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Momrobare

Post by Momrobare » Mon May 24th, 2010, 9:35 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Um, well, there was something about killing hostages and putting a woman and her son in a dungeon to starve to death. You might want to read some other books, esp the recently released To Defy a King. That being said - Sharon does have a way of balancing him out; certainly he had some good traits. One wonders how the balance of good and bad traits would have worked out if he didn't have a dysfuntional family..... :) (welcome, btw!)[/quote]

HI
Oh I know John did evil things but I'd never heard of him taking in his illegitimate daughter and actually loving her! :) If you look back at history all the kings and queens did some horrible things but John's crimes are usually shown in much worse light!

Thanks for the welcome. :) I found this board while on Sharon K. Penman's board and she recommended it so I thought I'd come and check it out and so I'm here and I think I'm going to stay awhile. :)

Momrobare

Post by Momrobare » Mon May 24th, 2010, 9:38 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Hi Momrobare and welcome to the forum!

:D Great way to find a book.

In that case I strongly recommend that you DON'T read Alison Weir's new novel about her. :eek: [/quote]

I tried reading ONE Alison Weir novel and just couldn't finish it. I know a lot of people like her historical fiction but I don't.
I feel the same way about Phillipa Gregory's books...though her style of writing is much more interesting to me than Alison Weir's is...I find Phillipa to be very biased in favor of Elizabeth I over Mary and Anne over Katherine!

That's why I like Sharon's books so well...you can tell she loves the characters but she doesn't put her own bias on them. If they do something wrong she writes it because that's how it happened. :)

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon May 24th, 2010, 9:55 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Um, well, there was something about killing hostages and putting a woman and her son in a dungeon to starve to death. You might want to read some other books, esp the recently released To Defy a King. That being said - Sharon does have a way of balancing him out; certainly he had some good traits. One wonders how the balance of good and bad traits would have worked out if he didn't have a dysfuntional family..... :) (welcome, btw!)[/quote]

His evil-streak makes him all the more interesting :) I think he was a man of his times - torture etc was the norm............although he maybe took it to the extreme :eek:
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

Return to “Sharon Penman”