Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Here Be Dragons--new information

sharon
Reader

Here Be Dragons--new information

Post by sharon » Sun September 6th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Hi, everyone. This message is for readers who enjoyed Here Be Dragons. I have just posted a blog entry on my website which contains the utterly fascinating research by one of my blog buddies into the family tree of Llewelyn Fawr; he has concluded that Llewelyn and Joanna had two other daughters in addition to Elen, Gwladys and a hither-to unknown daughter named Susanna. Ah, for a time-travel machine to let me go back 25 years and take this into account while I was writing Dragons!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sun September 6th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Thanks for the information Sharon! I loved Here Be Dragons and will be checking this out.
Andrea

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon September 7th, 2009, 12:27 am

Here is the link to Sharon's blog: http://sharonkaypenman.com/blog/. Scroll down to the Sept. 6 post for the research into Llewelyn's family tree.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 7th, 2009, 1:15 am

As soon as I saw Sharon's post I thought, I bet that blog buddy is our Ken, and sure enough it is. He introduced me to the world of medieval Welsh geneaology earlier, but i decided it was way too complex for me to deal with! It could easily be a life's work for someone- perhaps Ken himself?
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=2068

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon September 7th, 2009, 5:45 am

Very interesting ! Thanks for sharing Sharon, I loved Here Be Dragons.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Mon September 7th, 2009, 7:14 am

[quote=""annis""]As soon as I saw Sharon's post I thought, I bet that blog buddy is our Ken, and sure enough it is. He introduced me to the world of medieval Welsh geneaology earlier, but i decided it was way too complex for me to deal with! It could easily be a life's work for someone- perhaps Ken himself?
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=2068[/quote]

Yup! It's little old me!!

Maybe I'll make it the rest of my life's work, when I finally write 'The End' on the last page of my book on Othon de Grandson!

sharon
Reader

Here Be Dragons New Information

Post by sharon » Mon September 7th, 2009, 1:42 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Here is the link to Sharon's blog: http://sharonkaypenman.com/blog/. Scroll down to the Sept. 6 post for the research into Llewelyn's family tree.[/quote]

Thank you, Annis, for posting this. I am such a neophyte when it comes to cyberspace that I didn't even think to do that.

sharon
Reader

Here Be Dragons New Information

Post by sharon » Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:20 pm

I am also blind as a bat...sigh. Sorry, Margaret, you posted the link, not Annis. Thank you. And thank you again, Ken. One of the things I most love about history is that it is so fluid; the tides keep coming in and out, revealing new nuggets of information.

4ever Queen
Reader

Post by 4ever Queen » Fri September 11th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Yes, wonderful research/posting Ken. I've been re-reading it over and over to make sure I am not missing nothing. So much information can be a little overwhelming at times but you and Sharon outlined it so well that it's easy to follow as i read it.

Momrobare

Post by Momrobare » Sun May 23rd, 2010, 9:55 pm

HI
I bought "Here Be Dragons" when it first came out because I thought it was a fantasy novel about dragons which I was into at the time! LOL. I've always loved British and European History so I wasn't too upset to find out that it wasn't written about what I thought it was.

What I was surprised about was that Prince/King John was not the tyrant evil monarch I've always read and heard about!

I truly enjoyed the book and read it twice back to back and then couldn't wait to see if she was going to continue the story and she did.

Since then I haven't been able to get enough of Sharon K. Penman books.

And I have absolutely LOVED Eleanor of Aquatain since I first saw the Katherine Hepburn film The Lion in Winter! :) So when I saw that Sharon was writing about her and Henry...you know I just had to collect the books as they came out and devour them!

Return to “Sharon Penman”