Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

US book Tour

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

US book Tour

Post by Kasthu » Wed July 1st, 2009, 9:38 pm

Apparently, I missed this news the first time it was announced on her blog, but I recently found out that SKP is going to be doing a book tour in the US this summer! According to her e-mail newsletter, the paperback edition of Devil's Brood is coming out at the end of July (August for UK), as well as reissues of the other books in the "Eleanor of Aquitaine" series.

What's most exciting about this is that SKP will be in MY neighborhood for a signing/talk! (actually, 30 minutes away, but come hell or high water, I'll be there).

OK, now I need to go and crawl out of the cave I've been living in...

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed July 1st, 2009, 9:55 pm

I'm so jealous! I would probably drive a couple of hours to go see her, but she's not coming anywhere close to me.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed July 1st, 2009, 11:47 pm

We expect a full report back. I am sooooo jealous.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed July 1st, 2009, 11:54 pm

Me too! Please do share afterward,
Andrea

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 11:30 am

Another one afflicted by jealousy here! Wish I could meet SKP.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

sharon
Reader

US Book Tour

Post by sharon » Thu July 23rd, 2009, 11:57 pm

Hi, Kasthu,
I am so glad that you think you'll be able to attend my PA reading. The best part of going out on tour is that I get to meet people I've only known on-line. I wish the tour was coast-to-coast, but this one is confined to the East Coast and Midwest. As a former Californian, I am always eager for a visit to San Francisco, but no such luck this time. I am grateful to Ballantine for resurrecting the tour we had to cancel last October when I was unexpectedly hospitalized. They are doing a wonderful job, too, of promoting my Angevin trilogy; in addition to bringing Devil's Brood out in paperback on July 28th, they are re-issuing When Christ and His Saints Slept and Time and Chance. And because of their gentle nudging, I now have a presence in cyberspace. I even plunged into the uncharted waters of Facebook; well, actually, Ballantine pushed me off the diving board for that one, but I'm glad they did. Like blogging, I can see how Facebook can become addictive.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to everyone, and I'll be looking for you, Kasthu. When I get back from the tour, I'll drop by to let you know how it went, and to rave about a book I stayed up all night reading this week--Elizabeth Chadwick's The Falcons of Montabard. Lots more on that later.
Sharon

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri July 24th, 2009, 12:06 am

Piffle; no New York dates??
Kasthu, we are counting on you.
(Well, and Sharon, we're also counting on your blog!)
Personally, I can't wait to read more about Berengaria. She gets short shrift in most of the Plantagenet-related fiction I've read. Since I haven't delved very deeply into the NF, I can't tell if that's because she is rather dull, or whether there isn't that much info available on her. If the former, one wonders how she got along with Eleanor!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 24th, 2009, 12:28 am

Hi Sharon, thanks for the update and still counting on Kasthu for a full report. I'm guessing Sharon is going to be the one author that will make Berengeria interesting. I haven't had much luck so far with others :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Fri July 24th, 2009, 1:00 am

If anyone can make Berengeria interesting it would be SKP! :)

sharon
Reader

Berengaria

Post by sharon » Fri July 24th, 2009, 1:26 am

Thanks, Misfit and all, for the vote of confidence. We know very little about Berengaria during her years as Richard's queen, so we have to draw conclusions based in part upon what we know about her during her many years of widowhood. It is frustrating to have so little material to work with, but then it can be liberating, too. Already Berengaria is starting to assert herself, reacting in ways I hadn't expected. So it will be fun to see how she develops. She has now arrived in Sicily and has been caught up in the Angevin whirlwind; it must have been overwhelming for this sheltered Spanish princess to find herself in the controlled chaos that always seemed to surround Richard. She apparently came from a loving, close-knit family, too; there is convincing evidence that her parents' political marriage evolved into a love match, and we know she was quite close with her younger sister Blanca, who would wed the Count of Blois. So life with the Angevins must have been a bit of a shock!
Sharon

Return to “Sharon Penman”