Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Sunne in Splendour

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Fri May 8th, 2009, 9:03 am

Personally I think its an essential study
Everyone seems to grow up with the Shakespearian notion of the Evil and Murderous Crookback.It really is a great casebook in the study of Dynastic and Political propaganda whether read by the scholar of English or History,I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone with any interest in Richard III,even Shakespearians :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri May 8th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Good point, Rex. It's a very good political study. In some ways, it's immaterial whether or not Richard III murdered the Princes, because the politics surrounding the succession were much the same regardless of the individual characters of the various monarchs - though of course, how they are portrayed as personalities changes the whole tone of how we feel about the politics.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

sharon
Reader

Sunne in Splendour

Post by sharon » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 9:16 pm

Hi, everyone. This isn't really about Sunne. I just felt compelled to mention that Richard III died at Bosworth Field on August 22, 1485. I posted on my Facebook wall the touching epitaph that he was given by the city of York if anyone wants to check it out. There is also a Richard III group on Goodreads.com I bet there isn't one for Henry Tudor, though!
Sharon

sharon
Reader

The Sunne in Splendour

Post by sharon » Thu October 1st, 2009, 1:47 pm

Hi, everyone. I thought this might be on interest to readers of Sunne. A Good Samaritan has posted on YouTube the 1984 "trial" of Richard III for the murder of the princes in the Tower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-kQoKt2Kf4

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:15 pm

On the advice of MLE I just ordered a copy of this novel from Amazon. This will be my first Sharon Penman novel and I'm looking forward to it.Judging from posts and reports from various sources this seems to be a mighty read on a period which has always interested me. I was aware of R.L.Stevenson's "Black arrow" novel as a child and of course Shakespeare's play later on, but the novel which convinced me to devote my available reading time to historical fiction was Patrick Carleton's 1938 novel "Under the Hog" which portrayed Richard III as being innocent of the child murders. I first read this over 20 years ago and was glued to it as I thought it one of the best reads I ever had.

The catte,the ratte and Lovell our dogge
Rulyth all Englande under a hog.

I bet poor old Collingborne was sorry he composed that little rhyme; too clever by half :D

Looking forward to The Sunne in Splendour.
Last edited by BrianPK on Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:20 pm

[quote=""BrianPK""]On the advice of MLE I just ordered a copy of this novel from Amazon. This will be my first Sharon Penman novel and I'm looking forward to it.Judging from posts and reports from various sources this seems to be a mighty read on a period which has always interested me. I was aware of R.L.Stevenson's "Black arrow" novel as a child and of course Shakespeare's play later on, but the novel which convinced me to devote my available reading time to historical fiction was Patrick Carleton's 1938 novel "Under the Hog" which portrayed Richard III as being innocent of the child murders. I first read this over 20 years ago and was glued to it as I thought it one of the best reads I ever had.

The catte,the ratte and Lovell our dogge
Rulyth all Englande under a hog.

I bet poor old Collingborne was sorry he composed that little rhyme :D

Looking forward to The Sunne in Splendour.[/quote]

I absolutely love this book. I did get a hold of Under the Hog via interlibrary loan, but it just didn't work for me. Could have been my mood, but I didn't get far. Last I looked this book was very very highly priced on the used market, but it can be had via ILL. Mine came from a university library in New Mexico.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Mon May 2nd, 2011, 9:28 pm

I've just finished this novel and thoroughly enjoyed it,even if I found it a depressing read.Why wouldn't it be when the pages drip with blood and reek of treachery and ultimate doom.Sharon Penman tells a gripping story but one which never allows you to relax or feel comfortable with the characters as you are always on edge waiting for something awful to happen and, in a way, I'm relieved I'm finished with it and can now devote myself to a more relaxing read. Don't think I'll forget this novel in a hurry. Highly recommended.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:01 am

I remember being very anti-social at a 21st birthday that I attended in 1995 because I kept sneaking off to one of the bedrooms so I could read The Sunne in Splendour. It would have to be my favourite of her novels

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Sat May 7th, 2011, 10:50 pm

[quote=""SCW""]I remember being very anti-social at a 21st birthday that I attended in 1995 because I kept sneaking off to one of the bedrooms so I could read The Sunne in Splendour. It would have to be my favourite of her novels[/quote]

I reacted similarly when I read Under the Hog many years ago.I thought it an incredible read especially as the unexpected treachery from family and close friends was an absolute revelation to me.Like most people I was aware of the princes in the tower etc. but that was about all.I found it mind boggling and would have accused the author of an inflamed imagination if I hadn't immediately researched Encyclopaedia Britannica( there was no internet to check in those days). and discovered that it was all factual.I don't think there was ever a period in English history quite as violent and blood-thirsty. I reread Under the Hog about 16 months ago and I suppose that lessened for me (as I knew what was coming),to some extent,the impact that most people have felt on reading The Sunne in Splendour which is, more than likely, their first detailed journey into that unbelievable period.
I'm curious though, how soon you would reread The Sunne in Splendour? It's definitely not your average run of the mill enjoyable light read before a restful night's sleep,is it? :D

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu May 12th, 2011, 9:00 am

I do remember sobbing at the last two pages of The Sunne In Splendour. The down-side is that I've never been able to read any other novel about Richard the Third since then

Return to “Sharon Penman”