Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Never before released Anya seton

Brenna
Bibliophile

Never before released Anya seton

Post by Brenna » Mon May 16th, 2011, 1:16 am

Just finished reading what seems to be a newly released short story titled "The Mistletoe and Sword. It is based in 60AD about the 9th legion. It isn't your typical story about what happened to the legion, more of a story about the battles between the Romans and the aboriginal people. Short and sweet.
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon May 16th, 2011, 2:17 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Just finished reading what seems to be a newly released short story titled "The Mistletoe and Sword. It is based in 60AD about the 9th legion. It isn't your typical story about what happened to the legion, more of a story about the battles between the Romans and the aboriginal people. Short and sweet.[/quote]

I had an old copy of that, mine was from the 1950's IIRC and the jacket stated it was published for the YA market.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon May 16th, 2011, 3:35 am

This isn't a never-before released book, but I believe it has just been recently re-printed. Probably by Chicago Review Press, who have re-printed all Seton's books over the past years. It was originally published in the 1950s, and my copy is from the 1970s.

It is different from her other works -- probably due the fact that it was intended for YA. I really like it -- have read it twice. It is shorter and narrower in scope than her other books, but I think it is well done.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon May 16th, 2011, 8:31 pm

I must have misunderstood the inside cover. I thought it meant that it had been recently discovered and released. My bad!
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon May 16th, 2011, 8:36 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I must have misunderstood the inside cover. I thought it meant that it had been recently discovered and released. My bad![/quote]

It is one of her lesser known books. Not my favorite, but I'm not that hot on Roman Britain either.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon May 16th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Mistletoe and the Sword was first published in 1955, so it's been around a while :) You do need to understand that M&TS was written for the YA market and this does show, imo. It doesn't have the depth of her adult novels.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 17th, 2011, 12:35 pm

I actually really enjoyed it. It gave me a nice breather after some pretty hefty books!
Brenna

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue May 17th, 2011, 2:20 pm

I really enjoyed it, also (which is why I've read it twice :) ). For one thing, I like the setting of Roman Britain. But I also felt that, although it didn't have the depth of her other books, it was very well-written.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 17th, 2011, 6:26 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I really enjoyed it, also (which is why I've read it twice :) ). For one thing, I like the setting of Roman Britain. But I also felt that, although it didn't have the depth of her other books, it was very well-written.[/quote]

Agreed! (So apparently one word answers are insufficiant-can't just post Agreed-according to Mr. HF forum computer thing, I have to have an entire explanation with my agreed. There ya have it. Happy Mr. HF forum computer thing?).
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue May 17th, 2011, 7:44 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Agreed! (So apparently one word answers are insufficiant-can't just post Agreed-according to Mr. HF forum computer thing, I have to have an entire explanation with my agreed. There ya have it. Happy Mr. HF forum computer thing?).[/quote]

I wish that could be fixed. There are times I'm forced into making a longer comment just to get by that ##@@!!! rule.

Return to “Anya Seton”