Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Never before released Anya seton

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon June 6th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Brenna -- since you liked The Mistletoe and the Sword, you might also like Rosemary Sutcliff's series set in Roman Britain. Or maybe you've already read them? I had never heard of her until this forum, but they sounded like something I would like so I tried the first one, The Eagle of the Ninth. Really enjoyed it -- it is very similiar to Mistletoe; both were written in the 1950s for YA. However, Eagle takes place a few years after Mistletoe and has less "romance" than Mistletoe. I really liked Sutcliff's style, and have ordered the next three books in the series. :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon June 6th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Michy-

I put her books on my TBR once I heard about the movie. I haven't taken the time to see if they are still in print but my library doesn't have them. Will have to see! Thanks for the recommendation though!
Brenna

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon June 6th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Maybe you should suggest that your library buy the Eagle of the Ninth trilogy (Eagle of the Ninth, Silver Branch & Lantern Bearers) which has been reissued as a movie tie-in. They can be bought separately, or even more cheaply as an omnibus Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles 3-in-1 edition.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue June 7th, 2011, 1:10 pm

I'm curious as I've heard several people mention this: how do you recommend to your library that they buy books? I'll admit, I use my library infrequently (although much more since I started this forum as my bank account was hurting :-) )
Brenna

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue June 7th, 2011, 1:47 pm

I think I'll have to check out Mistletoe--it sounds light and interesting. Thanks for the info.
Brenna- I just went to the check out desk and spoke with the librarian. She gave me a little slip to complete and then she entered it into the computer. That was 3 months ago and as of one month ago, they still did not have it, but maybe they do now. I don't know exactly how all the funding works. BTW I requested two of our own EC's books. Our library is sadly low on her titles.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 7th, 2011, 2:14 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I'm curious as I've heard several people mention this: how do you recommend to your library that they buy books? I'll admit, I use my library infrequently (although much more since I started this forum as my bank account was hurting :-) )[/quote]

Mine has an online request form. I just bang it out and submit it. Most times they purchase them, except for the self pub and some smaller publishers. Very helpful once I've learned to time it right, I will place a request for a highly anticipated book (i.e. PG) that I know they'll buy copies of any way. Puts me on top of the hold list :D
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Tue June 7th, 2011, 10:20 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""] I just went to the check out desk and spoke with the librarian. She gave me a little slip to complete and then she entered it into the computer. That was 3 months ago and as of one month ago, they still did not have it, but maybe they do now. I don't know exactly how all the funding works. BTW I requested two of our own EC's books. Our library is sadly low on her titles.[/quote]

I had a similar experience. I informed the librarian that "Time and Chance" and Devil's Brood were available on the shelf and asked her to check to see if the Ist part of S.Penman's Eleanor of Aquitaine Trilogy, "When Christ and His Saints Slept", was out on loan. She checked her computer and was concerned to see that it was never purchased by them. She then went about ordering it even though I told her not to get it for my sake as I would get it from Amazon.But she said that it had to be ordered to complete the trilogy even though it would take a few months. I've yet to check back.

We have a good supply of EC's books and they are quite popular.

Return to “Anya Seton”