Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Winthrop Woman

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

The Winthrop Woman

Post by Margaret » Mon August 25th, 2008, 11:48 pm

This is one of what I believe were Anya Seton's two most outstanding novels. I'm sure others here have the same opinion, since the cover of a recent reprint edition of The Winthrop Woman graced the home page of the old forum for a couple of years! The other is Katherine. Seton was a favorite author of mine when I was a teenager, and her books were almost impossible to find for many years. They are deservedly back in print.

When I reread The Winthrop Woman recently, I was afraid I might find that my fond memory of it was no longer justified now that I am older and wiser. ;) I was very happy to find this was not the case. It's a carefully researched novel about a niece of John Winthrop, one of the Puritan founders of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. When Seton first published it, the novel did not get the respect it deserved, because it was viewed as historical romance. It isn't, really, although Seton writes very well about women's feelings about men. I've reviewed it at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Winthrop-Woman.html.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon August 25th, 2008, 11:51 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]This is one of what I believe were Anya Seton's two most outstanding novels. I'm sure others here have the same opinion, since the cover of a recent reprint edition of The Winthrop Woman graced the home page of the old forum for a couple of years! The other is Katherine.[/quote]

Agreed! I especially liked learning more about the historical aspects of The Winthrop Woman, the way of life, and the treatment of women.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Tue August 26th, 2008, 12:12 am

I've only read TWW once and that was probably sometime in the last ten years. I keep meaning to read it again and have set it in a visible part of the TBR shelf. I remember being impressed with Elizabeth's strong will and ability to press on in the face of the limitations placed on her in a theocratic society ruled by 'benevolent dictators' of sorts - her menfolk. Am I recalling some of her colonial environment correctly?
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Tue August 26th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Good memory, Leyland. Good writing, Anya Seton.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 28th, 2008, 7:18 pm

I read The Winthop Woman years ago, probably in my teens, but I have recently bought the book again for a re-read. There seems to be a revamp with Anya Seton's books recently.

[email protected]

Anya seton

Post by [email protected] » Fri August 29th, 2008, 1:55 am

Our book group recently read this story, and everyone enjoyed it.
We all wondered why we hadn't read it years ago, and a few of us even commented that it is a book that you could re-read, and always get something new out of.
I would like to read some other books by the author - have you read any of these?

Trisha
Australia

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Fri August 29th, 2008, 11:47 pm

MTA, check out the next thread over - Anya Seton's greatest hits. Many people (but not all) think Katherine is her best novel.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon May 24th, 2010, 8:03 pm

The Winthrop Woman was the novel by which I first discovered Anya Seton at age 14 -- a very long time ago! I re-read it this year (I read and re-read all of Seton's works) and, while it no longer seemed quite as "remarkable" to me as it did at age 14 and it's not my favorite of Seton's books, I still found it to be very good after all these years. I will say, though, that the ending she gave the Winthop Woman was the best ending of all her books, bar none. That final scene with Elizabeth and the Indian woman (her name escapes me) was very moving.

I am glad that Chicago Review Press re-released all her books, making them easily available again.
Last edited by Michy on Mon May 24th, 2010, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Tue May 25th, 2010, 5:08 am

I discovered it when I was a teen, too, and for many years had forgotten the title. I think someone on the predecessor to this site remembered it from my description. I was surprised to find out how much I still enjoyed it after so many years had passed!

Return to “Anya Seton”