Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Katherine Cover Art

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu June 11th, 2009, 8:33 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Image

Another one.

This is fun! :)

SM

Actually, I think my older copy is this one.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Postby zsigandr » Thu June 11th, 2009, 1:06 pm

My copy is the pouty Katherine. I have to admit that some of the other covers are quite funny! To be honest, I would probably have mistaken those for a cheesy romance novel rather than the treasure that it is. I find that a lot of the old covers have that sort of look to them, more Harlequin romance than HF, perhaps it was to draw a larger audience.

I am a more conservative book cover type and like the ladies or gentlemen to appear more like the era that the novel is about rather than sexy, glamorous models, but that's just me.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Thu June 11th, 2009, 6:09 pm

The 2nd pic in SonjaMarie's post is the only old one that I've seen. The reissue, yes.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu June 11th, 2009, 6:48 pm

"Leyland" wrote:Image Yay - I got the hang of it! OK, this one makes me think about a teen girl in a werewolf or vampire novel (guess which one), but not about the woman who rocked John of Gaunt's world. Would her shoulders have really been bare?

This one looks more like the cover of one of Anne Rice's vampire chronicles :D

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Postby Madeleine » Thu June 11th, 2009, 6:49 pm

"Leyland" wrote:Image A little pouty and quite wistful looking, but I do like this cover. I guess this is what she looked like during the separation from JOG. Really getting that forlorn lover groove on!

Is't this one a famous portrait? I'm sure I've seen it before.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Thu June 11th, 2009, 6:50 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Image

From Tanzanite's own blog, hope that's ok Tanzy!

SM

this is the one that I've got, and which seems to be generally available in the UK, although I have seen the very yellow one (from SonjaMarie's post) on Amazon, which I think is it's previous UK incarnation.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu June 11th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Posted by Madeline
Isn't this one a famous portrait? I'm sure I've seen it before.

Yep, it's Dante Gabriel Rosetti's 1872 painting, "Veronica Veronese"

I suspect the model is his favourite muse, Jane Burden
I've just been reading a novel about Jane and her relationships with William Morris and Rosetti- Elizabeth Hickey, "The Wayward Muse"

Libby
Avid Reader

Postby Libby » Thu June 11th, 2009, 8:01 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Is't this one a famous portrait? I'm sure I've seen it before.

It's Veronica Veronese by Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Fri July 31st, 2009, 7:33 pm

This is my Green Darkness cover. I wanted it to come out bigger but it won't. Lots of vintage covers at http://www.coverbrowser.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Fri July 31st, 2009, 7:41 pm

"Libby" wrote:It's Veronica Veronese by Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

wonder if this portrait will make an appearance in "Desperate Romantics" currently on BBC2 about the Pre-Raphaelites. They're all going ga-ga over poor Lizzie Siddal at the moment.
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Return to “Anya Seton”