Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Katherine Cover Art

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue September 20th, 2011, 7:45 am

[quote=""LCW""]

**Sort of off topic but were the colors of the clothes so vivid at the time? I would think with the low quality dyes and such that even the clothes of the royals and wealthy would be nowhere near as vibrant as we see today.[/quote]

You won't get some of the vibrant electric colours such as shocking pink, but they could do bright if they wanted. You can get a scary daffodil yellow just from the dye weld, and if you know what you're doing with woad you can get some lovely quite strong blues. You can get some bright reds as well and some acid greens. It all depends on the skill of the dyer and the raw materials to hand, including the water in which the cloth and dye are steeped. I have a very good friend who demonstrates dyeing yarn she has spun from natural fleece. She does demos for West Stow Anglo Saxon village among others. Generally the colours are subtle, but if you know what you are doing, you can get some eye-boggling hues!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Fri June 6th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I've just received a new copy of Katherine from the book depository. it has a beautiful cover which resembles the medieval tapestry called the lady and the unicorn.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri June 6th, 2014, 1:43 pm

[quote=""SCW""]I've just received a new copy of Katherine from the book depository. it has a beautiful cover which resembles the medieval tapestry called the lady and the unicorn.[/quote]

Oh wow, I just had to look that up. It is lovely:

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sat June 7th, 2014, 6:55 am

It is a beautiful cover. And there are no additional notes by any other authors in this edition.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sat June 7th, 2014, 10:47 am

[quote=""SCW""]It is a beautiful cover. And there are no additional notes by any other authors in this edition.[/quote]

An added bonus ;)

Return to “Anya Seton”