Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Katherine Cover Art

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 31st, 2009, 7:59 pm

Sex, drugs and art! The Pre-Raphaelites were an interesting lot.
Here's a Rossetti painting using Lizzie Siddall as a model, "Beatrix Beata". As you can see, there are quite a few similarities in appearance between Jane Burden and Lizzie.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri July 31st, 2009, 8:30 pm

I love that painting. I'm a sucker for the Pre-Raphaelites.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Fri July 31st, 2009, 9:00 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]wonder if this portrait will make an appearance in "Desperate Romantics" currently on BBC2 about the Pre-Raphaelites. They're all going ga-ga over poor Lizzie Siddal at the moment.[/quote]

I'm enjoying the series.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

annabel
Scribbler

Post by annabel » Sat August 8th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Yes, I agree,I love the Pre Raphaelites, too, and the TV series is fun, though a bit OTT.
Interesting to see the way headless women are so popular on covers these days - does this have a cultural significance, do you think?
I loved Katherine. read it many years ago and recently re-read it with enjoyment.
I've just been given Green Darkness ( 2008 edition with another headless woman on the cover, though this one is a detail from an Albrecht Durer portrait) So far I'm a bit disappointed. the 1968 opening seems rather stilted with elaborately laid clues as to the direction the plot is going to take. Maybe the 1550's part will come to life. Hope so.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon February 1st, 2010, 5:18 am

I found a new one, seems to be in German:

And another:

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Mon February 1st, 2010, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 19th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Went to the FOL sale last weekend. Found a 1954 copy of Katherine. No DJ, but look what's on the inside flap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon September 19th, 2011, 6:59 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]Image Yay - I got the hang of it! OK, this one makes me think about a teen girl in a werewolf or vampire novel (guess which one), but not about the woman who rocked John of Gaunt's world. Would her shoulders have really been bare?[/quote]

This cover is horrible! I would definitely pass this book by based on this cover. A creepy chick with bare shoulders, long flowing hair, and vomit colored to top it off? Eww, just eww!

I really like this one for some reason. Besides the stage make up I think its glamorous and it makes Katherine look beautiful. Maybe not entirely appropriate for the book within the cover, medieval women probably didn't look this flashy, but I like it.

**Sort of off topic but were the colors of the clothes so vivid at the time? I would think with the low quality dyes and such that even the clothes of the royals and wealthy would be nowhere near as vibrant as we see today.
Last edited by LCW on Mon September 19th, 2011, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon September 19th, 2011, 7:01 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Went to the FOL sale last weekend. Found a 1954 copy of Katherine. No DJ, but look what's on the inside flap.[/quote]

Its been a few years since I've read it but didn't the latest release of this book have a family tree like this? I'm thinking it did.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 19th, 2011, 8:15 pm

[quote=""LCW""]Its been a few years since I've read it but didn't the latest release of this book have a family tree like this? I'm thinking it did.[/quote]

I don't recall and I loaned my copy off, never to be returned again :mad:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon September 19th, 2011, 10:53 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]These are great. Amazing how I can nod off to bed and find these new threads started. Magic :) :rolleyes: :confused:

Slightly OT but I found this one for Green Darkness whilst searching for more covers,

Image[/quote]

The top one here is my copy, it's a 1954 Book Club Edition, and is the one with the family tree inside the cover. My mother bought this for me in something like 1993; I had never seen this book before (surprising, in a way; I was at least 25 by the time I discovered "Katherine") and what she gave me she thought was a valuable first edition. It's priceless to me, either way.

The one with the knighting on the cover sort of doesn't make sense to me, but I studied way too much costume (and, you know, actually read the contents of the book) so it seems an irrelevant picture to what is inside.

I like the Book Club cover because it's very specific - illustrating the coat of arms, which is such a particular moment within the plot - and because it is not didactic. I can still imagine Katherine for myself, without some overly 1960s looking starlet gazing haughtily at me (hee - through her lashes ...) or an anachronistic, anorectic model, either. Knowing enough about what constituted "beautiful" in ages other than our own makes it a little embarrassing when contemporary images get thwapped onto 14th century aesthetics.
Last edited by DianeL on Mon September 19th, 2011, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Anya Seton”