Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Katherine Cover Art

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed June 10th, 2009, 11:28 am

These are great. Amazing how I can nod off to bed and find these new threads started. Magic :) :rolleyes: :confused:

Slightly OT but I found this one for Green Darkness whilst searching for more covers,

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed June 10th, 2009, 11:36 am

My copy is the one Sonja Marie posted with the water colour painting on a fuschia-pink background.
Dorothy Dunnett's novels were like that - went through numerous incarnations.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed June 10th, 2009, 12:50 pm

My copy is the Fawcett Crest one that SonjaMarie posted as well. I've owned it since high school and never paid too much attention to the cover - not even to realize the art was rather tacky!

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed June 10th, 2009, 7:50 pm

This is like a masterclass in the changing fashions of book covers. Fascinating.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed June 10th, 2009, 8:55 pm

My favorite is the one Sonja Marie posted, that shows her dubbing the knight. Beautiful! Some of these are totally out of character for Katherine's story and personality. They really do say more about the time period in which the particular edition was published than they do about Katherine's time.

And doublechecking the correct spelling of Katherine makes me wonder how many variants of this name exist.

Katherine
Katharine
Catherine
Kathryn
Katarina
Catrina
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed June 10th, 2009, 9:07 pm

My favorite is the one Sonja Marie posted, that shows her dubbing the knight
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure that's the UK cover. Lucky ducks.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed June 10th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Wow this is a blast from the past. I remember the one with the 1950's Hollywood starlet cover that SonjaMarie posted...I also remember the, er, very green cover of Green Darkness. I read both these books as a teenager & got them from the local library. The covers obviously did their job as I still remember them!

Must admit, I kinda like the psychedelic '60's cover with the big hair and the floaty blue stuff. :D

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed June 10th, 2009, 9:39 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]Must admit, I kinda like the psychedelic '60's cover with the big hair and the floaty blue stuff. :D [/quote]Totally! That's why I was so psyched to find the 1969 Fawcett Crest one yesterday. I just had to try to describe it to y'all in the Book Shopping thread. I almost did a ridiculous little happy dance in the Goodwill store when I plucked it from the bin.

I'm thinking 'The HFO folks are going to love what I just found!'. Yes, you do, because look at this thread! :)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu June 11th, 2009, 12:23 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Image

From Tanzanite's own blog, hope that's ok Tanzy!

SM[/quote]

No problem. I actually posted several covers for Katherine back in 2007. Here is the link: http://tanzanitesbookcovers.blogspot.co ... seton.html

I have several other books that I have done the same thing with (tagged "same book different cover" on the blog). It is fun!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 11th, 2009, 8:32 am

[quote=""Margaret""]My favorite is the one Sonja Marie posted, that shows her dubbing the knight. Beautiful! Some of these are totally out of character for Katherine's story and personality. They really do say more about the time period in which the particular edition was published than they do about Katherine's time.

And doublechecking the correct spelling of Katherine makes me wonder how many variants of this name exist.

Katherine
Katharine
Catherine
Kathryn
Katarina
Catrina[/quote]

Isn't the Irish version Caitlin?

One of my copies is the one with the knight, I think. I also have a really old copy, the cover of which I can't actually remember as it's at my mum's house! My memory seems to be having problems today. :eek:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Anya Seton”