Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

'The Best of Anya'

Kate Quinn
Scribbler

Post by Kate Quinn » Tue May 25th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Good lord. That cover would put anybody off Anya Seton for life.

Thanks for all the comments on A.S's other books. I admit I've only read "Katherine," which I adore, and neglected the others because American history never interested me much. But seeing how many of them get top recommendations here, I'll take another look.

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Thu August 12th, 2010, 5:20 am

Hi guys, I was wondering why you didn't like the Mistetoe and the sword book. Was it just the period it was set in that didn't appeal to you or was it something else?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu August 12th, 2010, 5:24 am

I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but that I was rather disappointed that it was such a slight story. I didn't realise at the time (though it made sense when I discovered later) that it was actually written for the YA market.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu August 12th, 2010, 5:26 am

I actually really enjoyed The Mistletoe and the Sword. I particularly like that period. I agree that it is not Seton's best work -- it is a short book, not nearly of the scope of her others -- but I found it interesting and well-written. For me, it was a solid 5 stars.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu August 12th, 2010, 7:01 am

I'm particularly fascinated by Roman Britain (love Rosemary Sutcliff's novels set in this period), and i guess I was hoping for something with the breadth of Avalon, which is set in the later post-Roman period, or Pauline Gedge's wonderful Eagle and the Raven.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu August 12th, 2010, 11:10 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh. My. God.

Image[/quote]

A definite contender for the Cheesy Covers poll, methinks! :eek: :D
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Now, Smouldering Fires, on the other hand, was Seton's worst work IMO! It was so poorly written I don't know why she even bothered. When I reviewed it I gave it 3 stars, but that was being too kind. I really deserved 1 or 2. :eek:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 31st, 2010, 9:25 pm

Found an old MMPB edition of Katherine at the USB and scanned the front and back images. Is she just a pouty face or what?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Wed December 15th, 2010, 9:54 am

I've only read two of her novels. Those being Green Darkness and Dragonwyck. I did buy Katherine, but it was a present for someone else. Australian book stores don't seem to sell much Anya Seton.
Am interested to know what people would recommend

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 15th, 2010, 11:53 am

IMHO I think Katherine, The Winthrop Women and Devil Water are the best.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Anya Seton”