Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

FYI: Forum board to close by Feb. 29th

princess garnet
Bibliophile

FYI: Forum board to close by Feb. 29th

Post by princess garnet » Thu February 22nd, 2024, 11:05 pm

[Note: I've started a separate thread for everyone to view]

MLE, one of our long time members, has posted this forum board will be shut down by Feb. 29th if no one offers to host. If it's really "final curtain" that day, I want to write that it's been a pleasure to be a long time member here. I came over from an old version of the Historical Fiction forum in the late 2000s and have enjoyed interacting with members here stateside, across the pond, and beyond! A few of us here also were active on Philippa Gregory's forum board through her website before that was shut down.
Some of our early forum members were authors at various stages of experience in the publishing industry. Today they're still releasing novels or have discontinued as novelists.
There was one member I remember who was a school librarian and it was great to see fellow librarian on the site.

I have the same user name (all one word) on librarything.com if you'd like connect with me there. :D

From Maryland, USA,
Princess Garnet :D
Last edited by princess garnet on Sat February 24th, 2024, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Destroying Angel" by S G MacLean
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: FYI: Forum board to close by Feb. 29th

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 23rd, 2024, 12:07 pm

It would be a shame but membership has dwindled quite a lot over the last few years so I'm not really surprised.
Currently reading "Destroying Angel" by S G MacLean

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Sat February 24th, 2024, 9:31 pm

Sad, but thank you for helping me learn about some great historical fiction over the years. I have now read through all the book icons on the site & found some "new" authors that I love.

Best to all of you!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 26th, 2024, 8:43 pm

It’s such a shame as I’ve enjoyed reading members’ posts and contributing with mine. But as Madeleine says, it’s dwindled over the years. I wonder where everyone went?

I’ve sent you a friend request on Librarything, Princess Garnet. I’m on Goodreads, too. I’m also in a book group on groups.io (https://groups.io/search?p=SubsCount,,,20,2,0,0) called the Reading Loft. It’s only small. We choose a book to read each month which we chat about during the last week of the month. It’s been going for about 25 years, previously on Yahoo groups until that closed. I’m actually surprised it’s still going! 😂 it’s seems to have been given to me to run it, too. 🤔
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu February 29th, 2024, 3:33 pm

If anyone wants to join another book forum, there's one I'm on called https://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/ which is quite active and has members from all over the world.

Nice to have met you all and good luck with your reading (and writing) and see you on another forum!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 29th, 2024, 9:35 pm

I’ll have a look at that one, Madeleine. There used to be lots of book forums at one time but most of them seem to have gone by the wayside. I think Facebook changed things.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sat March 2nd, 2024, 1:21 pm

Looks like we’re still here so will keep posting!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sat March 2nd, 2024, 3:51 pm

Vanessa wrote:
Thu February 29th, 2024, 9:35 pm
I’ll have a look at that one, Madeleine. There used to be lots of book forums at one time but most of them seem to have gone by the wayside. I think Facebook changed things.
Yes although quite a few people have said they don't like FB so have come back to forums! The one above has a lot of refugees from another forum which closed last year, which gave it a boost and it's fairly busy, with quizzes and general discussions as well, including a nice pets section!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun March 3rd, 2024, 3:20 am

Many, many thanks to whoever offered to host the forum so we can keep posting! :D

Return to “Chat”