Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do Clowns Creep You Out?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 28th, 2008, 5:10 pm

The only King I've read was "The Body" (the short story "Stand By Me" was based on) and that was only because it was for a high school class assignment.

After reading "IT" Marg, you probably will never look at clowns quite the same way again, if I remember the ads for the movie correctly!

Personally I think clowns are creepy anyway!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 28th, 2008, 7:08 pm

I think clowns are creepy, too. I remember going to a birthday party as a little girl which involved a trip to the circus. A clown tried to give me a balloon and I just burst out crying!!! He frightened me. :o
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue October 28th, 2008, 7:35 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I think clowns are creepy, too. I remember going to a birthday party as a little girl which involved a trip to the circus. A clown tried to give me a balloon and I just burst out crying!!! He frightened me. :o [/quote]

I've always had a bit of a clown phobia - I used to be petrified of them as a child, but now I just find them hideous. apparently it's quite a common phobia, one of my old bosses used to be a children's entertainer and she said that when they did their clown act they would tone down the makeup so that their own faces were still visible, because so many children were scared of clowns - I wonder who first thought that children liked clowns! :eek:

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue October 28th, 2008, 8:14 pm

I don't think I was scared of them, but they did always repel me as a child. Maybe it was all of that makeup.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue October 28th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Yes I think so, I think it's the grossly exaggerated features, especially that massive red mouth! And they always seem to make themselves look bigger in general, like wearing huge shoes.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue October 28th, 2008, 8:27 pm

I never liked or disliked them, but yes there is something creepy and wrong about em.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 28th, 2008, 8:47 pm

:D :D

I've been following the main thread all day and recently thought to myself one more comment and there'd be a new thread started.

They never bothered me, but then this Seattle native was a Patches Pal, as were almost every other kid in Seattle who religiously watched the JP Patchesshow. He's quite funny and still makes appearances on occasion for charity and what not.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 28th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Maybe Patches freaked me out as a kid? I had to go to Seattle Children's Hospital quite regularly until I was 9 for check ups, operations, procedures, etc, and I might have seen him there too many times, but then again I don't remember, just speculating.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 28th, 2008, 10:22 pm

There was an episode of "Supernatural" season 2 called "Everybody Loves A Clown", where a clown is getting kids to let them in their house to kill the parents.

The younger brother Sam is afraid of clowns and his older brother Dean is afraid of planes:
Dean Winchester: I know what you're thinking Sam. Why did it have to be clowns?
Sam Winchester: Oh, give me a break.
Dean Winchester: [laughs] You didn't think I remember, do you? Come on, you still bust out crying when you see Ronald McDonald on the television.
Sam Winchester: At least I'm not afraid of flying.
Dean Winchester: Planes crash!
Sam Winchester: And apparently clowns kill.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed October 29th, 2008, 12:04 am

I never had trouble with fearing clowns, tho as a grown up, I can see why they might be frightening to kids. The first year I taught preschool, I was a clown for Halloween - makeup, costume, whole bit. They would not walk into the room. I had to completely wash off the make up and change before they's nod and decide it was safe.

The Simpson's does such a great job riffing on the creepiness with Krusty the Clown. Tho Im not sure it helps a viewer who might be scared anyway!

Return to “Chat”