Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Odd Phrases in Reviews

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Odd Phrases in Reviews

Post by Rowan » Wed May 4th, 2016, 2:16 pm

I subscribe to BookBub and among the historical fiction I'm alerted to, I also have mysteries/thrillers in the mix. Today's email includes an offering by a pair of my current fave authors Preston & Child. This is the blurb in the email. The bold text is the focus of this thread.
From two New York Times bestselling authors comes this engrossing novel: When an ancient meteorite is discovered in Chile, museum owner Palmer Lloyd leads an impossible mission to excavate the rock — but his actions may lead to untold disaster. “A big-boned thriller” (Publishers Weekly).

What the heck is that supposed to mean? I mean I have enjoyed the handful of Preston & Child books I've listened to thus far and consider myself a fan of at least the one series I delved into, but describing any of their books as "a big-boned thriller" just has me scratching my head.

Anyone else ever encounter unusual phrasing regarding any book? Historical fiction or otherwise.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: Odd Phrases in Reviews

Post by Misfit » Wed May 4th, 2016, 4:30 pm

I'm sure I have, and thanks for starting a thread so I can post them when I come across them.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu May 5th, 2016, 9:34 am

Oh yes, thanks for starting the thread, I've certainly come across odd wording in blurb although I can't think of any at the moment.

Although not the same thing, I wonder if authors who write any sort of novel involving a queen/princess/noblewoman get annoyed when "Perfect for fans of Philippa Gregory!" gets slapped across the front :lol:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu May 5th, 2016, 11:57 am

That blurb drives me nuts. Immediate turn off, but then I'm not a huge fan of PG.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu May 5th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Nor am I, Misfit.

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Thu May 5th, 2016, 3:57 pm

I knew someone who had to review things that she didn't like so she would describe it and then tack on, "if you like that kind of thing". It allowed her to keep her job and more importantly, her self-respect.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri May 6th, 2016, 2:59 pm

John Sliz wrote:I knew someone who had to review things that she didn't like so she would describe it and then tack on, "if you like that kind of thing". It allowed her to keep her job and more importantly, her self-respect.
See now you've said that, it makes me wonder if the folks writing the blurb saying that books are "great for fans of Philippa Gregory" are really just throwing shade ;)

"A wonderful book... if you're into Philippa Gregory :? "

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Tue May 10th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Yep. lol

Return to “Chat”