Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon files suit over fake five star reviews

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: Amazon files suit over fake five star reviews

Postby Misfit » Mon October 19th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Ack. I hate the hurting my sales complaint almost as much as the book is my baby :evil:

This is funny: http://newsthump.com/2015/10/19/amazon- ... -twilight/
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun November 1st, 2015, 2:53 pm

I hate the family and friends reviews. And then those people ding my honest review. Thats annoying.

To be honest though I think one can tell a good review from a bad one. We can all read and figure out it out if there is an agenda behind the review.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun November 1st, 2015, 8:17 pm

Divia wrote:I hate the family and friends reviews. And then those people ding my honest review. Thats annoying.

To be honest though I think one can tell a good review from a bad one. We can all read and figure out it out if there is an agenda behind the review.

The canned reviews are pretty easy to spot once you see a few.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat January 9th, 2016, 7:00 pm

FYI, along with the Fiverr crackdown, Amazon has been going after what is commonly called the couponers. Sellers want reviews and product rankings and will offer up coupon code so that the 'reviewer' in the coupon club can get the product for free or say $1 or less (thus getting the AVP badge). There has been multiple threads at the Top Reviewer Forum with people crying that their reviews have been removed and they no longer have reviewing privileges *WAH* I did nothing wrong. There has been some speculation that Amazon has busted some of the coupon club/sellers and forced them to give up reviewer IDs or lose selling privileges.

http://amazonproductrankerteam.blogspot.com/

Don't miss the videos on how to cheat the system...

https://www.facebook.com/AmazonReviewTrader/

This is one of the club organizers and they've been on a program of sorts to force the reviews and reviewers to look more legitimate. Some of the comments from the confused and unhappy reviewers are interesting. longish thread at Amazon, but might help clarify some of this. https://www.amazon.com/forum/top%20revi ... Q0A61KKP1Z

John Sliz
Reader

Postby John Sliz » Sat April 30th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Any word how all of this ended?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat April 30th, 2016, 3:23 pm

I assume it is still ongoing. I haven't heard chatter over in the Amazon forums, nor in the Seattle area news outlets. And trust me, if Bezos sneezes it makes the news. Maybe not quite that, but it doesn't take much from Amazon-land for a news bite.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat April 30th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Also, in the last few months, Amazon has been cracking down fast and furious on the coupon club reviews/reviewers. There are a lot of sellers that were offering up discount coupons for their products so they could be purchased for free or pennies, and encouraged reviewers to get Prime free shipping at that. Amazon has been purging a lot of reviewer accounts, ranking lost, reviews removed and reviewing privileges permanently revoked.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat April 30th, 2016, 8:00 pm

I figured this would happen eventually. Bezos is nobody's fool. and the cheaters are diluting the value of his brand. If nobody trusts or believes the reviews because it is generally known that people are paid to 'puff' unworthy products, Amazon is the one who suffers in the end.

That's why the mods here block people who just want to full up the boards with their promotional material. Quality over quantity.

I think they had a brilliant idea to pay authors on kindle unlimited according to how far in the book readers got. That has been scammed so that con artists are skimming off the total pot, to the injury of real authors. But I am not worried; Amazon will figure a way to stop that leak.
its a constant sort of 'market armament race' but since several very interested somebodies are 'minding the store' I will put my money or it being self-correcting.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat April 30th, 2016, 11:38 pm

There is at least one lengthy thread at the Top Reviewer forum at Amazon about this, and so many of those who got dumped come whining they did nothing wrong. I suspect at least some of them thought the coupon providers were working in consortium with Amazon and thought they were doing what Amazon wanted, but there's no excuse for not looking at the TOS. Yes, Vine reviewers get the free stuff, but it's Amazon picking the reviewers and not the manufacturers, and there's never been any requirement from Amazon to only give a gushy review. That said, there are bad apples in the Vine program as well. Take whatever they can, write a 'review' and sell the stuff on ebay Sometimes they get caught and they get tossed.

As is with the Fiverr reviews, the couponers are pretty easy to spot (they LOVE to post photos), and I just move along to other more helpful reviews.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun May 1st, 2016, 12:18 am

https://www.facebook.com/AmazonReviewTrader/?fref=ts

This is one of the more notorious (in Amazon land) outfits that is pairing manufacturers with 'reviewers'.

There has been some chatter on the Amazon forums that manufacturers/suppliers who get busted by Amazon have spilled the beans and given out reviewer IDs to Amazon.

Return to “Chat”