Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon files suit over fake five star reviews

Anzo

Re: Amazon files suit over fake five star reviews

Post by Anzo » Wed September 21st, 2016, 5:43 am

I wonder why though. Isn't it in Amazons best interest to have as many 5 star reviews as possible because then they make more sales?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed September 21st, 2016, 12:53 pm

The problem with fake reviews is it hurts their brand. And it does--5-star reviews no longer impress me. I automatically assume that a portion of those reviews were bought. So I make my decision based on the number of low reviews, not the bombastic five-star ones.

I think a lot of people are doing this.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 24th, 2016, 11:12 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:The problem with fake reviews is it hurts their brand. And it does--5-star reviews no longer impress me. I automatically assume that a portion of those reviews were bought. So I make my decision based on the number of low reviews, not the bombastic five-star ones.

I think a lot of people are doing this.
Exactly. Slightly OT, but Amazon has been cracking down big time on what is known as the coupon clubs. Sellers get hooked up with reviewers via clubs and issue coupons so that the purchase is free or pennies, yet still shows as a verified purchase. They encourage them to get Prime and use the free Prime shipping options as well. The sellers want five star flashy reviews with videos and pic and verified purchase. Sellers and coupon club reviewers have been on the receiving end of the ban-hammer, many review accounts totally wiped out and no more reviewing. There is speculation in the 'Zon forums that sellers who are caught have had to give up their reviewer list, but that's speculation.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 24th, 2016, 11:13 pm

Anzo wrote:I wonder why though. Isn't it in Amazons best interest to have as many 5 star reviews as possible because then they make more sales?
My experience with Amazon is opposite, they want honest reviews and not all gushy gushy stuff even if the product sucks. I've been in the Vine program for a few years now, and I have never felt any pressure from them to write anything less than my honest opinion. I've received some really cool stuff via Vine, but also a few dogs.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Chat”