Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ellora's Cave files suit against Dear Author

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Ellora's Cave files suit against Dear Author

Post by Misfit » Sat September 27th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Anyone heard about this? I believe it started from thispost on Dear Author, but arecent blog post (and many others around blogland) says EC (not our EC) has filed suit against DA and Jane personally if I understand it correctly.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 28th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Just seen Jane post on Twitter about it and have read the thread. My goodness! Talk about power corrupting!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 28th, 2014, 5:22 pm

It sounds like quite a mess and I'm sorry for Jane, but she's got a lot of support from the author and reading community. Not paying authors is bad enough, but not paying taxes is bad juju. I don't know how EC's state taxation works, but in Washington you've got Department of Revenue and Labor and Industries. Dept. of Rev. would generally be sales tax collected on taxable sales and not turned in to the state as they should be. L&I is employment security and whatnot. Once they catch you, they're like a dog with a bone and never let go of auditing the books.

Federal Tax Liens are the ones that really tick me off. In my experience, 99.99% of the time it's the employee withholding (social security, Medicare) that was taken from worker's paychecks and not forwarded on to the government.

All of which are public record. As are court records. Will be interesting to follow this.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 28th, 2014, 8:56 pm

[quote=""Misfit""] I don't know how EC's state taxation works, but in Washington you've got Department of Revenue and Labor and Industries. Dept. of Rev. would generally be sales tax collected on taxable sales and not turned in to the state as they should be. L&I is employment security and whatnot. Once they catch you, they're like a dog with a bone and never let go of auditing the books.

[/quote]

Not my department in terms of the technicalities but speaking for self as self employed, I have to declare how much I've earned in a year and my tax is assessed accordingly and paid twice a year. Then there's VAT tax on earnings if you're a high income earner and that has to be paid once every 3 months. And then you also pay so much National Insurance to pay (supposedly for the NHS). If you're employed your tax is taken off at source. If you don't pay up, then yes, the Inland Revenue will come after you.
One of my author friends (now sadly passed away and a lovely lady) was investigated by the IR who said she had no right to be travelling first class airways for her historical research and writing off the champagne as a tax liability). Her retort was that she wrote billionaire sheik novels for Mills & Boon and her sheik sure as heck wasn't going to be slumming it in ordinary class. She HAD to sample the lifestyles of her characters in order to write them!
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 28th, 2014, 10:01 pm

I'd buy the first class and champagne argument ;)

Getting a bit ugly with those with an axe to grind against Jane.

http://jennytrout.com/?p=8077

Edit to add another blog link: http://kbgbabbles.com/2014/09/the-wtfck ... rried.html
Last edited by Misfit on Sun September 28th, 2014, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 29th, 2014, 8:06 pm

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 29th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Definitely heating up!
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 29th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Yep. Will be interesting to watch all this.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 3rd, 2014, 7:57 pm

A Go Fund Me campaign has been started to help raise money to pay Jane's legal fees.

Interesting discussions here and there about the royalty checks being mailed from Ellora's Cave without the date stamp that the postage meters do automatically. The one I use at work takes a few steps to turn the date stamp off, and it always reverts back to default stamp when the meter is turned on again. A big no-no with the US Postal peeps. This could get interesting. http://catgrant.com/2014/10/just-for-yo ... es-rights/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 9th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Oh my this just gets crazier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Chat”