Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The person I think most influenced the world is ...

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat October 25th, 2008, 9:26 pm

I suppose we should include the "inventor(s)" of the PC and the Internet. They have taken Gutenberg far beyond what we imagined when I was a child.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun October 26th, 2008, 2:49 am

Another vote here for Gutenberg. Now he would make a great protagonist for a HF novel
I do know of at least one HF about Johannes Gutenberg
"The Justification of Johann Gutenberg", by Blake Morrison.

And in the strange but true category, there is even a musical about Gutenberg, called, er, "Gutenberg! The Musical!".

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun October 26th, 2008, 5:35 am

Apparently you can make a musical out of just about anything.

There is one that is supposed to start here soon called Shane Warne; The Musical!

(Shane Warne is a pretty famous cricketer, so whilst some people on the board will know who he is, I know that a lot of people won't). He's also famous for his bad behaviour. I would expect to see lots of texting references in the musical, not that I will be going to see it.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun October 26th, 2008, 10:54 am

[quote=""annis""]I do know of at least one HF about Johannes Gutenberg
"The Justification of Johann Gutenberg", by Blake Morrison.[/quote]

And a very fine novel it is.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun October 26th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Was there a single inventor for the computer or for the internet? I always sort of imagined a group of people collaborating on it, or starting it and then others took off with it.

Return to “Chat”