Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Amusing Thing Today....

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun April 27th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Making the bed today, I gave myself a nice spasm in the meaty bit of my upper back just near the shoulder blade. Hooray - and it's lawn-mowing day, too.

Gossamer says he won't do it for me, his paws would get all grass-stained. And Penelope just barks at the mower. Sigh!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun April 27th, 2014, 11:37 pm

Seriously thought I'd posted in the most ANNOYING thing today thread ... :o

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon April 28th, 2014, 12:14 am

I was wondering how that added up to a 'best thing,' Diane! :p

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 28th, 2014, 8:47 am

Never mind, it gave me a smile to picture a doggy mowing the lawn! You need to train them Diane.... Hope your back is better soon.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon April 28th, 2014, 11:51 pm

MLE: ;) Keeping this thread on its toes.

Madeleine, she's still fairly cute when she's barking her brains out at the mower, but no dice on that training. HOWEVER, she has now - just having turned two a few weeks ago - graduated from day crating. She was a good girl ALL day Friday, her longest stint not being left in her cage while I'm gone, and Saturday when she was back in the box just for a few hours, she pulled one of the wires clear off its welding. So today I let her go free-range in the house again, all day, and she was a good girl again.

I'm still putting all the pillows and things away just in case, but she's telling me "don't cage me anymore mom" and I'm listening. It is perhaps dorky just how happy and proud I am of my baby girl.

In other kinda-bad-stuff-in-the-good-stuff-thread news, I've been under a perfectly daft amount of stress of late, and on Friday there was hope that its source would be over and a situation resolved. It was not, and my mom is freaking out to the point of literally having nightmares and losing sleep. It's probably a big part of the reason I threw my back out, BUT ...

Today was a good day. You take what you can - and today I learned a great deal of important, good stuff for my job. Today, I found a ring I had misplaced, one I've had for years. Today, I got a lot done, and it felt good. This weekend (yeah, thanks in part to the stress, but still) my weight was lower than it's been in over a year, which has been a longstanding issue. I broke through a barrier I haven't for a long time.

And all that on a rainy, cold Monday. :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed June 25th, 2014, 11:24 pm

I should not make fun of my mom, but this WAS amusing, so I thought I'd share.

She and I were talking last night, and she was telling me how she's been feeling off all week and having headaches for days.

Turns out, the maid cleaned behind the canisters in the kitchen and switched the regular and decaf coffee containers. Mom’s been running on the wrong fuel!

I did say to her, “Well, it’s been a week for headaches, I’m hearing a lot of people having them.” She said, “Those are REAL headaches.” Hee.

So apparently a caffeine-deprival headache is not real. Get your java on, my friends!

Even so, evidently, the fake headaches are still annoying …

(Also – what’s the phrase for when the maid moves your coffee? “First world problems” … ???)
:P

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri June 27th, 2014, 3:34 pm

My husband has to have his caffeine in the morning or he gets sledgehammer withdrawal headaches. As you said "First world problems."
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 1st, 2014, 6:38 pm

The Tour de France begins in Leeds, West Yorkshire, in the UK this weekend. I must say I do think the Black Prince looks rather dashing in his new attire! :D :D . He's in City Square, Leeds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri July 18th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Today's page in my daily cat calendar. That's a good expression.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat July 19th, 2014, 12:43 am

Oh, that's too cute! :D

Return to “Chat”