Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hilary Mantel / Duchess of Cambridge

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu February 21st, 2013, 1:55 am

[quote=""annis""]

If a male author had made the same comments, would anyone bother to make a fuss about his physical appearance? [/quote]

Probably not but I could see a whole other uprising against his being a sexist who doesn't understand women, let alone duchesses. ;)

On the other hand, Rex Reed recently criticized actress Melissa McCarthy for her weight and the backlash against his own appearance was fierce. So maybe a male author making the same observation would be bashed based on his looks.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon March 4th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I thought this whole thing very interesting and while I absolutely adore Kate, I tend to agree with some of Mantel's observations. Before anyone throws a tomato at my head, let me explain! ;)

Let's face it, the Royals faced a very difficult situation in the 80's and again in the 90's when the Queen's sons didn't choose what we would consider "royal wives." Fergie and Diana seemed hell bent on bucking the system and could care less the negative backlash the Royal family as a whole received.

There is no doubt in my mind that the children of Diana and Fergie and others watched and learned and were told in no uncertain terms that this will not be tolerated again.

Hence, when Kate's path crossed Williams, he had to be thinking in the back of his head-what kind of person/character is this and will she fit into the appropriate mold?

Obviously Kate passed the test when she and William broke up-she didn't create a firestorm, she didn't cry in public-she raised her chin and went about her day. That left an impression and it became obvious that she would fit into the "acceptable" role of Duchess/Princess.

This observation that Kate is the stepford wife of William isn't completely unfounded but I don't think it is as negative as Mantel makes it out to be. What Mantel takes out of the equation is that Kate chose this life-she chose her role and when she accepted William's proposal, she accepted that her personality and life would be completely altered. Rather than going on women's lit on her, let's remember that many, many women fought for the right of choice and that regardless of what choice they make, they were given options.

Kudos to Kate for making what had to be a rather difficult choice and for rising above very painful and public assaults on her privacy.
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue March 5th, 2013, 12:46 am

[quote=""Brenna""]I thought this whole thing very interesting and while I absolutely adore Kate, I tend to agree with some of Mantel's observations. Before anyone throws a tomato at my head, let me explain! ;)

Let's face it, the Royals faced a very difficult situation in the 80's and again in the 90's when the Queen's sons didn't choose what we would consider "royal wives." Fergie and Diana seemed hell bent on bucking the system and could care less the negative backlash the Royal family as a whole received.

There is no doubt in my mind that the children of Diana and Fergie and others watched and learned and were told in no uncertain terms that this will not be tolerated again.

Hence, when Kate's path crossed Williams, he had to be thinking in the back of his head-what kind of person/character is this and will she fit into the appropriate mold?

Obviously Kate passed the test when she and William broke up-she didn't create a firestorm, she didn't cry in public-she raised her chin and went about her day. That left an impression and it became obvious that she would fit into the "acceptable" role of Duchess/Princess.

This observation that Kate is the stepford wife of William isn't completely unfounded but I don't think it is as negative as Mantel makes it out to be. What Mantel takes out of the equation is that Kate chose this life-she chose her role and when she accepted William's proposal, she accepted that her personality and life would be completely altered. Rather than going on women's lit on her, let's remember that many, many women fought for the right of choice and that regardless of what choice they make, they were given options.

Kudos to Kate for making what had to be a rather difficult choice and for rising above very painful and public assaults on her privacy.[/quote]

I'm throwing no tomatoes so you dont have to duck :p lol. I didn't like the way HM spoke about Catherine, there was a self satisfied catty element in her speech, but I also think she was being deliberate in her choice of words and that many of the press would not 'get' the irony.

That said I feel that the Royals have so little privacy that they can appear 'plastic' in public with the smiles and collecting posies...But they are not political figures or human right activists...So Kate and also William will not be hugging trees or staging some type of 'bed-in's' for peace.

I also think that Kate has shown much courage in marrying William....I mean this is a young woman who will no longer be able to shop with anonymity...Who won't be able to walk out her front door without being stalked by photographers. If she goes on private holidays so the press will follow her. Anyone who works for her will be offered bribes and also her friends to tell tales out of school...Going to the movies incognito will be almost nigh impossible and then there are the phones....Now they can't even use the phone without wondering if someone is 'listening.' I haven't even touched on the crack pots who might endanger her life...I would never choose that life...So in her own way Kate has shown much courage in marrying William for love alone.

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue March 5th, 2013, 2:48 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]I'm throwing no tomatoes so you dont have to duck :p lol. I didn't like the way HM spoke about Catherine, there was a self satisfied catty element in her speech, but I also think she was being deliberate in her choice of words and that many of the press would not 'get' the irony.

That said I feel that the Royals have so little privacy that they can appear 'plastic' in public with the smiles and collecting posies...But they are not political figures or human right activists...So Kate and also William will not be hugging trees or staging some type of 'bed-in's' for peace.

I also think that Kate has shown much courage in marrying William....I mean this is a young woman who will no longer be able to shop with anonymity...Who won't be able to walk out her front door without being stalked by photographers. If she goes on private holidays so the press will follow her. Anyone who works for her will be offered bribes and also her friends to tell tales out of school...Going to the movies incognito will be almost nigh impossible and then there are the phones....Now they can't even use the phone without wondering if someone is 'listening.' I haven't even touched on the crack pots who might endanger her life...I would never choose that life...So in her own way Kate has shown much courage in marrying William for love alone.

Bec :) [/quote]

Completely agree! It's not a life for everyone which I think has already been seen over the past few decades. I hope her and William are able to rely on each other and are able to be partners in the truest sense of the word! I love how protective he is of her-it is extremely sweet!
Brenna

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue March 5th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Every so often, I'll read on royalty blogs with a comment along the lines if only royals still married other royals.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed March 6th, 2013, 12:10 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Completely agree! It's not a life for everyone which I think has already been seen over the past few decades. I hope her and William are able to rely on each other and are able to be partners in the truest sense of the word! I love how protective he is of her-it is extremely sweet![/quote]

I think the Royal family aka The Queen and Prince Philip look to their own marriage and I am sure that the Queen remembers her private time as wife to Prince Philip when they were in Malta(?). William and Kate need this private time to cement their marriage and to enjoy their children while remaining out of the limelight.

I also think it refreshing that William has a full time job as a helicopter rescue pilot and Kudo's to him for doing so! When it comes to Kate I don't try and compare her to Princess Diana, they are two different types of women. I think at thirty Kate made the decision to marry William in the sure knowledge that her life would never be the same, and she accepted that. I think William married Kate to gain a sense of real family and normality....It is also obvious that these two truly do love and respect one another...And I agree William is very protective of Kate, which is sweet. I think he witnessed the mistakes of his own parents marriage and wishes to do the opposite for his own to ensure its success.

So my response is give them their privacy now while they are young enough to enjoy it and to appreciate Kate as her individual qualities come to the fore and not compare her to Princess Diana, that is unfair.

Bec :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 6th, 2013, 7:45 pm

There's always been this fairytale fantasy that marrying the prince is the ultimate dream fulfilled, but in fact (as Mantel's speech points out) it's just as likely to be a nightmare. Kate is doing a very gracious job in often difficult circumstances and obviously felt her love for William was worth making the move into that relentless limelight. It's not a lifestyle for everyone - Prince Harry's longtime girlfriend Chelsy Davy decided against it despite commenting that she "loved Harry to bits".

I do think it's a pity that many readers have become fixated on that quite small piece of Mantel's speech which focuses on Kate and haven't read the complete article - the whole is a thoughtful examination of our historical relationship with royalty, particularly royal wives.
Last edited by annis on Fri March 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”