Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Wolf Hall" - the play

annis
Bibliomaniac

"Wolf Hall" - the play

Post by annis » Thu January 24th, 2013, 2:43 am

The Royal Shakespeare Company wins the rights to stage Hilary Mantel's Booker award-winning Tudor novels Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.

"Mantel said putting the novels on stage was the next logical step as she had always thought of them as 'gigantic plays'. She said it was wonderful that the RSC was taking them on, recalling how, as a 15-year-old, she made her way to Stratford by herself and saw four plays in three days. "It was a shaping experience, so it really is a dream come true for me to have the opportunity to see the RSC present my plays … I don't say that lightly."

Guardian article here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/ja ... ary-mantel

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon January 28th, 2013, 12:42 am

My instant reaction is - what wonderful plays these novels would make! My second reaction is - darn, how long will I have to wait to see them in the U.S.?
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon January 28th, 2013, 7:02 am

I wonder when we'll see Wolf Hall - the movie?

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon January 28th, 2013, 7:01 pm

I wonder when we'll see Wolf Hall - the movie?
I devoutly hope they will do it right, when they do!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu February 7th, 2013, 4:31 am

[quote=""Margaret""]I devoutly hope they will do it right, when they do![/quote]

I have not read it, but it cannot be worse than TOBG as a movie. I realize that movies are not meant to be accurate, but IMO, if Anne Boleyn were alive she would have a right to sue over TOBG.

Is Wolf Hall worth the read?

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri February 8th, 2013, 1:07 am

[quote=""annis""]I wonder when we'll see Wolf Hall - the movie?[/quote]

I would love to see it made into a movie, hopefully with substance of 'A Man For All Seasons,' and 'The Lion in Winter.' I would definately go and see it.

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 16th, 2013, 10:04 pm

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]I have not read it, but it cannot be worse than TOBG as a movie. I realize that movies are not meant to be accurate, but IMO, if Anne Boleyn were alive she would have a right to sue over TOBG.

Is Wolf Hall worth the read?[/quote]

I think Phillipa Gregory could sue over that movie if she hadn't signed to give them permission to make it. They totally changed it. TOBG is the one PG book I've read and Anne is NOT the MC.

Return to “Chat”