Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2012 London Olympics

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 3rd, 2012, 2:38 am

[quote=""Divia""]It might be. But to be fair I really think the Koreans got a raw deal on the whole fencing thing. That really sucked and was ridiculous[/quote]

What happened?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Fri August 3rd, 2012, 8:52 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]What happened?

SM[/quote]

The fencer thought that she'd advanced to the gold medal match but the referee reset the clock from zero to 1 second, which meant that the opponent managed to score a "sudden-death" touch.
She sat on the podium/match area (don't follow fencing, so apologies for wrong terminology) and cried for an hour while the officials heard the appeal, becuase if she left, she would have forfieted the right to challenge/appeal the decision.

All in all - a sucky thing to have happened to her

Korean Fencer drama

Although, I also found this article, special medal to be awarded which is a small piece of positivity for her, but not the same as the real deal
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 3rd, 2012, 3:29 pm

I think she rejected the speical medal, didn't she?

And she should. I mean you cant reset a clock and then be like oh, opps. The girl got extra time. Everyone can figure that out why the olympic judges cant is beyond me.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri August 3rd, 2012, 7:42 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by EC

Some of my English friends have been quick to point out the political ironies attached to this sequence- here's a typical response:

Image[/quote]

Bangs head on table....Do you really need it explaining? Er...Obviously, you do. So much for subtlety.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 3rd, 2012, 10:17 pm

So delighted to see Mahé Drydsdale win his rowing event, not just because it's a gold for New Zealand (yay!), but because he's such a lovely guy and has had to overcome seemingly endless obstacles along the way. Kia kaha, Mahé!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat August 4th, 2012, 10:24 am

[quote=""SGM""]Bangs head on table....Do you really need it explaining? Er...Obviously, you do. So much for subtlety.[/quote]

I didn't see it as a political statement. It was trying to say what is 'Great' about Great Britain. It showed how we evolved, what we've achieved, etc. The NHS, the music, literature is all part of that. Things which the UK should be proud of. And, of course, there's the world wide web - we wouldn't be here chatting about it otherwise.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat August 4th, 2012, 11:32 am

I did think it was a rather naive, idealistic view of the NHS - very Mary Poppins - but it was meant to be entertainment.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Sun August 5th, 2012, 11:47 am

Yes, it was definitely meant to be entertainment and to probably show our quirky sense of humour! LOL. Well, we are a bit quirky, aren't we??! :D

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 5th, 2012, 3:37 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I didn't see it as a political statement. It was trying to say what is 'Great' about Great Britain. It showed how we evolved, what we've achieved, etc. The NHS, the music, literature is all part of that. Things which the UK should be proud of. And, of course, there's the world wide web - we wouldn't be here chatting about it otherwise.[/quote]

The US contaminators said it was political as well. It was a while ago, but if I remember, something about the national health care system and I think trying to push the issue.

Although, that is sad that they are cutting jobs there.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sun August 5th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Unfortunately there are job cutbacks everywhere at the moment, it's not just peculiar to the health service.

Return to “Chat”