Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

RIP, Ray Bradbury

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

RIP, Ray Bradbury

Post by Ludmilla » Wed June 6th, 2012, 7:33 pm

From The Chicago Tribune:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 0056.story
When I was born in 1920,” he told the New York Times Magazine in 2000, “the auto was only 20 years old. Radio didn't exist. TV didn't exist. I was born at just the right time to write about all of these things.
and US Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news ... 55424240/1

He will be missed. Anyone have a favorite?

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed June 6th, 2012, 7:58 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]He will be missed. Anyone have a favorite?[/quote]

It feels like I read everything he wrote, way back when. I remember being fascinated by The Martian Chronicles...working on my own linked story collection now. A lot of the giants are leaving us.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed June 6th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Looks like the trifecta of favorite authors are gone who I loved in HS: Arthur Clark, Vonnegut and now Bradbury. I have loved everything he wrote, but its been ages since Ive read much. I need to pull out the short story collection I have, and probably reread a few of my favs: Amazing Ice Cream Suit, Dandelion Wine, Martian Chronicles.

I love this quote from him, in response to a question about how he views SF versus other types of literature:
I often use the metaphor of Perseus and the head of Medusa when I speak of science fiction. Instead of looking into the face of truth, you look over your shoulder into the bronze surface of a reflecting shield. Then you reach back with your sword and cut off the head of Medusa. Science fiction pretends to look into the future but it’s really looking at a reflection of what is already in front of us.
Thats why I read Sci Fi, and why I adored Bradbury. RIP

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Thu June 7th, 2012, 12:12 am

Fahrenheit 451.

If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.

A good motto to live by, in my mind.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri June 8th, 2012, 12:43 am

I haven't actually read any of his works yet. He's been one of the authors on my list of who I'll read when I have more time. I think I'll make time this summer.

Return to “Chat”