Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Novels are trash??

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri May 18th, 2012, 2:35 am

[quote=""Divia""].

Um, how did Dickens write historical fiction, when the time period he was writing about I believed was the Victorian Era? :confused: Anyone? help?[/quote]

He wrote two historical novels, A Tale of Two Cities (as MLE mentioned) and Barnaby Rudge (set during the Gordon Riots).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri May 18th, 2012, 3:40 am

I had to laugh at EC2 description because it is so apt and deserved! And also Villages 'chinless idiots.' :p :p

I also get the feeling that Stagg hasn't read Wolf Hall or its sequel, there are probably too many pages and no pictures. He made no in depth analysis of Mantel's books which is telling. :rolleyes:

His idea that all historical fiction novels are the same is much like saying all Italian dishes are the same, because the recipes all originate from Italy. It is too silly. :rolleyes:

Has he even read Sharon Kay Penman? Or Elizabeth Chadwick? Helen Hollick? Or Susan Kay? I doubt it.

I think the closest Stagg comes to reading Historical fiction is when he reads Hagar the Horrible. :p :D

Bec :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri May 18th, 2012, 8:46 am

people read historical novels for the same reasons: easier than history or biography
I wonder how the many historical fiction readers who also read history books and biographies fit into his patronizing little stereotypes. Actually, I just realized I don't care.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Fri May 18th, 2012, 2:23 pm

I'm sure I wouldn't care for his preferred reading list as it's probably filled with what I call pseudo-intellectuals.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri May 18th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Frankly, a very small percentage of contemporary novels reach standards I would consider to approach the standard set by Hilary Mantel with Wolf Hall. Because far more contemporary novels are written, reviewers like this one, who tend to read the cream of the crop (or what they consider to be the cream of the crop) perhaps don't notice how many contemporary novels fall short of their standards.

A historical novel can be written in just about any of the genres contemporary novels fit into - mystery, romance, fantasy, glitz, etc. This reviewer is probably doing what many do who don't read a lot of historical novels: consider it a genre in itself alongside mystery, romance, etc., and then judge the whole "genre" by the standards they would use to judge the particular class of novels they like to read - Mantel's novels would be considered literary if they were set in the present day, and just as a relatively small percentage of contemporary novels are literary, a relatively small percentage of historical novels are literary.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat May 19th, 2012, 1:23 am

What a condescending prick that snob is! I'll be honest here, I don't much care for most historical fiction, so much of what is getting churned out these days I find rather light and filled with anachronisms. It's pretty damn clear that this person has never read Dunnett, or Chadwick or Penman or McCullogh. There are writers that I will make exceptions for, and wait with barely suppressed excitement for their new releases. When an author remembers that it is the characters that drive the plot and can make a book great, then I wholeheartedly support them. On the other hand, there are quite a few who dress up a dull story with fancy dress, modern attitudes and anachronistic attitudes, or worse, don't even bother to know the period of time that they're working in, and that's trash to me. And that's sad. Ok, sorry to rant on, but this fellow hit a hot button for me.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Sat May 19th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Now, about this geezer named Guy. He does look like a smirkin juvenile snot, or maybe should that be snort?

And he doesn't really look like someone who would have the stamina to last through more than a couple of chapters of a good HF book. More like a fresh-out-of-school department store sales assistant or saloon assistant hairdresser better suited to some average run-of-the-mill coffee table mag, and who only got his job cos his father and the store/saloon manager are good mates.

Now, about his article. It reads just like the typical diss job of a mediocre, amateur critique who, for some reason probably best known only to him, did not, or could not, succeed in getting his grey matter fully engaged in the right gear, reviewing something that's clearly way out of his league. He'd better brush up on his critiquing skills as well as his overall competency fast, or he is going to be history fairly soon. :cool:

Just my tuppence.
Last edited by Shield-of-Dardania on Sat May 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:22 am

Judging by his reliance on past classics, as opposed to contemporary works, I'm guessing the fellow used 'classic' as the criterion of a good book, i.e. a book people are still reading 50 years or more later. Most classics are not historical novels since most authors don't write historical fiction (too much hard work in researching and worldbuilding) and so the relatively few classic HF titles leads him to conclude it is not a genre that produces quality literature.

The only way to settle the issue of whether historical fiction produces proportionally fewer good books than other genres is to do a head count and some maths: how many HF books were written in the last 200 years or so and how many of those became recognized classics. Then compare that percentage to the number of non HF novels written over the last two centuries set against the number of classics that came from them. If you want to make sweeping statements in an article then you'd better do your homework first...
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon May 21st, 2012, 10:11 pm

The only way to settle the issue of whether historical fiction produces proportionally fewer good books than other genres is to do a head count and some maths: how many HF books were written in the last 200 years or so and how many of those became recognized classics.
Math is not my strong point, but I do recall a few HF classics, like Alexandre Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo, Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace.....
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 23rd, 2012, 1:07 am

I haven't chimed in on this because everyone else has said everything I have to say.

Return to “Chat”