Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Something I've not seen in an ARC before

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 15th, 2012, 3:23 pm

We still have whiteout - or Tippex or Snopake as it's called here - in our office; although we're computerised, we still make a lot of hand-written notes and sometimes things like dates change so we do use the stuff occasionally.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Manda Scott
Reader

Post by Manda Scott » Tue May 15th, 2012, 3:24 pm

'Once my butt is back in the saddle'
Awed that anyone would publish this. But remember vividly the description from the platform at last year's Kelmarsh of a published book in which Lord Darnley comes home from a day's hunting, marches into the throne room where Mary, Queen of Scots, is sitting by the fire knitting (!) and says, 'Hey, honey, will you fix us a sandwich?'

If nothing else, someone needs a short lesson in the history of the sandwich - which celebrated the 250th anniversary of its invention by the Earl of Sandwich only this month...

m

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue May 15th, 2012, 3:54 pm

[quote=""Manda Scott""]Awed that anyone would publish this. But remember vividly the description from the platform at last year's Kelmarsh of a published book in which Lord Darnley comes home from a day's hunting, marches into the throne room where Mary, Queen of Scots, is sitting by the fire knitting (!) and says, 'Hey, honey, will you fix us a sandwich?'

If nothing else, someone needs a short lesson in the history of the sandwich - which celebrated the 250th anniversary of its invention by the Earl of Sandwich only this month...

m[/quote]

Please tell me you are kidding...
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue May 15th, 2012, 9:30 pm

FYI, Marg had an ARC and she checked her copy and has no white out or markings on the same pages. Odd...

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue May 15th, 2012, 11:37 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]FYI, Marg had an ARC and she checked her copy and has no white out or markings on the same pages. Odd...[/quote]

Could you tell from her copy what the white-out on yours was covering?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 16th, 2012, 12:28 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Could you tell from her copy what the white-out on yours was covering?[/quote]

Didn't think to ask her? Duh.

Book is in the car, so I'll pester her tomorrow. Since this went out to Vine members also, I might ask over at those forums and see if anyone else got one like mine.
Last edited by Misfit on Wed May 16th, 2012, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri May 25th, 2012, 10:27 pm

The real stunner here isn't that something's been whited-out (though I feel your pain - that would drive me to distraction as well!): it is what was left IN. :eek:
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri May 25th, 2012, 11:25 pm

It was pretty bad all the way around. I did come across another section of white out towards the end, about three lines worth. None of the other Vine reviewers have mentioned it.

Return to “Chat”