Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Scotland

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Scotland

Post by Rowan » Thu April 5th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I know this forum isn't about geneaology, but this is the only forum I am a member of which has a chance of providing the clues I need. My mother has gotten onto her geneaology kick again and has managed to trace part of my family back to Scotland in the 1500s. Of course she always comes to me for pronunciation of names and place-names as if I'm some sort of authority on pronuncations. :rolleyes: Anyway, one of these ancestors was from a village/town in Scotland with a pretty unique name so I wanted to see where in Scotland it was located. The only problem is that the only search results that come up on Google are for other family trees linked to this same person and his family listing that same village/town as place of birth. I have concluded, then, that the place no longer exists or perhaps exists under a different name. Is there any way to verify this?

The name is Frucayglasgow, Scotland.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu April 5th, 2012, 3:59 pm

All I can think is that Frucay was a hamlet in the Glasgow area years ago. I've certainly never heard of it. Or it could be an old Scottish term for a village which has since been renamed as it got bigger.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu April 5th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Quite often some villages become part of larger ones or town but the name is still remembered in a road or street name (as in the Kingland village mentioned in Forever Amber and now known as as Kingsland Road . Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case here according to Streetmap (which I prefer to Google).

I thought you could look up places names on the better geneological sites to see if they existed. I can't vouch for it because I don't belong to any as family history is not my thing but someone once looked up Locksley for me on the site she used to see if there had ever been a place in England spelled that way.
Last edited by SGM on Thu April 5th, 2012, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 6th, 2012, 8:41 am

Might be a case of a name written down in early days when spelling was more idiosyncratic or written as heard not seen. There is a township called "Freuchie" - in the past spelt "Fruquhy" (pronounced "Frukey"), and I wonder if this could be the same place. It is nearer Edinburgh than Glasgow, though, so that's a problem.

Here is a Freuchie community website:
http://www.smartcommunityfife.org.uk/freuchie/history

Here's the website for the Freuchie Library- always a good starting point for a search :) They might be able to refer you to someone in the area with local history knowledge who could help or at least tell you if you're barking up the wrong tree.

http://www.smartcommunityfife.org.uk/fr ... ie-library

Another option could be to email the Family History Centre at the Glasgow Libraries website to see if they can clarify what was meant by Frucay, Glasgow, Lanarkshire- contact details here:
http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries ... /home.aspx
Last edited by annis on Fri April 6th, 2012, 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Sat April 7th, 2012, 3:37 am

You are absolutely AMAZING annis!!!!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat April 7th, 2012, 4:09 am

Hope someone can help, Rowan. I'd maybe try the Glasgow connection first and see if they can give you some clues.

The wonderful thing about the internet is that these days you can just email someone directly. I've gone straight to an overseas source several times with queries and always found people at the other end helpful. Librarians especially love a mystery to solve :)

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Mon April 16th, 2012, 4:37 am

My parents took my son to Scotland last summer, up to Thurso--so far north that your nose bleeds--because we are McKays. But I haven't ever heard of that town! I did google it and it looks like many of the genealogy links are saying: Frucay, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, as if it's a hamlet of Glasgow, like Vanessa said. Though with Annis, Freuchie does look like a good cognate. Interesting that the genealogical stuff is all about 1572. One wonders if someone didn't make a mistake and it just got copied and pasted all over the web.

Return to “Chat”