Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Words We Don't Use

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Likeness" by Tana French & "My Lemon Grove Summer" by Jo Thomas
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 6th, 2013, 6:10 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Sheep's eyes is still in use in at least some communities in the US.

I rather like placeparted. Similar to "a place apart."[/quote]

I've also heard the term cow eyes used in the same way ash sheep's eyes.
Currently reading "The Likeness" by Tana French & "My Lemon Grove Summer" by Jo Thomas

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon August 12th, 2013, 11:59 pm

Was thinking of this thread fondly and am being a selfish git and giving it a bump. What I was thinking was the differences in what some of us do use and some of us don't - such as American English and British English. I adore some words which are either slang or simply more common in British English, but in far less use over here. Some are more antique than others.

Splendid
Prat
Git :)
Presently
Knickers
Shan't
In a pet

I wonder whether there might be too much telling in my choices above!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue August 13th, 2013, 11:32 am

Ah, presently. It's a great word, but I'm an editor of publications written in UK English, and am forever having to change non-UK contributors' use of the word "presently" to "at present" or "currently", which is what they really meant in that context. But my educating them on its UK meaning perhaps means that more people are using it now worldwide :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue August 13th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Though I'm from the wrong side of the Pond, I've been fortunate to have exposure to and very very silly practice speaking of UK English since a pretty young age. I'd correct the "now" usage too, for presently!

Ahh, and how about punctilious? Another excellent term. :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Chat”