Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So What Did Everyone Get?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

So What Did Everyone Get?

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 26th, 2011, 2:56 am

Books, electronics, CDs, DVDs, etc....

From my mom:
Death and the Virgin Queen: Elizabeth I and the Dark Scandal That Rocked the Throne by Chris Skidmore
Ancient Inventions by Peter James, Nick Thorpe
That Noble Cabinet: A History of the British Museum by Edward Miller
Food in History by Reay Tannahill
Spinning Straw into Gold: What Fairy Tales Reveal About the Transformations in a Woman's Life by Joan Gould
Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III by Flora Fraser

With a gift cert from Susan (aka boswellbaxter), a complete surprise!:
The Court of St. James's by E. S Turner
England's Mistress: The Infamous Life of Emma Hamilton by Kate Williams
Seven Ages of Britain by Justin Pollard
Bob Hope: A Tribute by Raymond Strait
Permanent New Yorkers: A Biographical Guide to the Cemeteries of New York by Judi Culbertson
Monsieur D'Eon Is a Woman: A Tale of Political Intrigue and Sexual Masquerade by Gary Kates

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon December 26th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Got a Kindle gift card which will be well used and very, very surprisingly, a Kindle Fire from my kids! I'll still predominantly read on my old Kindle, but the Kindle Fire will be great for traveling and at other times when I need a tablet.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon December 26th, 2011, 3:49 pm

My husband's gift to me is in progress. He is building me a sit-or-stand desk where the monitor, keyboard tray and mouse pad/armrest can go in either a sitting or standing position. I spend so many hours at the computer, and I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome.

As for the rest, all the family adults toss names in a hat at Thanksgiving and we each draw one person to give to. My daughter had me, and I got back from the candlelight service to find that she had taken an assortment of family photos and done an entire wall of the dining room in a collage of coordinating frames and pictures! It looks great, and I couldn't think of any present I would rather have gotten.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon December 26th, 2011, 4:07 pm

[quote=""MLE""]My husband's gift to me is in progress. He is building me a sit-or-stand desk where the monitor, keyboard tray and mouse pad/armrest can go in either a sitting or standing position. I spend so many hours at the computer, and I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome.

As for the rest, all the family adults toss names in a hat at Thanksgiving and we each draw one person to give to. My daughter had me, and I got back from the candlelight service to find that she had taken an assortment of family photos and done an entire wall of the dining room in a collage of coordinating frames and pictures! It looks great, and I couldn't think of any present I would rather have gotten.[/quote]

What super presents!!!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon December 26th, 2011, 4:19 pm

My daughter gave me The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. We both loved the movie and I hadn't realized it was based on a book. Ihimaera is a prolific writer, so if I like the book, I've found a new author to explore. My husband gave me a new camera (I misplaced my old one) and got the family a Wii console. Our daughter roundly defeated us at bowling last night. It was fun, but I can't help feeling "real" bowling would have been more fun and better exercise.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 26th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Because times are tough we all agreed in our family to keep it modest this year. My husband gave me a Kindle, which will also double as a present for my birthday (coming up soon). One of my sons gave me a cover for it which is very useful and actually makes it feel more comfortingly book-like. The other gave me a copy of John Crace's Brideshead Abbreviated, the inimitable Crace's succinct take of a variety of classics. The man's a genius, so bitingly witty - I regularly follow his Digested Reads on the Guardian website.

And of course, lots of delicious edible goodies which I'll now have to spend the next month or so working off :)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon December 26th, 2011, 7:51 pm

I got The Greater Journey by David McCullough. Having heard him narrate "The Civil War" I could "hear" his voice as I read the 1st chapter. Also some jewelry.

I gave my dad a book about historic DC through photos and mom a puzzle.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 26th, 2011, 9:21 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]My daughter gave me The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. We both loved the movie and I hadn't realized it was based on a book. Ihimaera is a prolific writer, so if I like the book, I've found a new author to explore. My husband gave me a new camera (I misplaced my old one) and got the family a Wii console. Our daughter roundly defeated us at bowling last night. It was fun, but I can't help feeling "real" bowling would have been more fun and better exercise.[/quote]

Probably true, but at least you might not get so many broken fingernails playing it on Wii..... ;)
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 26th, 2011, 9:58 pm

My husband bought me some books (half of which were actually for him). One of them I actually wanted: Rise of the Greeks by Michael Grant.

My Dad gave me a set of Christmas-themed earrings. The little trees are cute.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Mon December 26th, 2011, 10:04 pm

[quote=""MLE""]My daughter had me, and I got back from the candlelight service to find that she had taken an assortment of family photos and done an entire wall of the dining room in a collage of coordinating frames and pictures! It looks great, and I couldn't think of any present I would rather have gotten.[/quote]

That sounds like an absolutely goregous present! I'm going to keep that in mind for future with my parents, it's just the type of thing they'd love as well.

For myself, I got:
Sharon Penman's Lionheart (which was nearly impossible to find here, according to mum)
a calender with photos of my youngest niece
a whole bunch of DVDs
and favourite of all - and I'm going to post a picture in the "Things we Collect" thread once I take a decent one - an Isle of Lewis chess set! I was so excited to open the box and find it!

And yesterday we went to the post-Christmas sales, and SLOC indulged in some classic Disney animated movies - he claims they are for me, but I know different... :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Return to “Chat”