Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Terrible News

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri October 21st, 2011, 4:40 pm

"Hope is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -"

(Emily Dickinson)
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 21st, 2011, 5:18 pm

So sorry to hear this Rebecca - it's always a lurch in the gut moment. We lost my father in law only yesterday to lymphatic cancer - we had him at home with us for the last fortnight - and while I don't know what you're going through, I understand. Wishing you strength and peace in the storm.
Elizabeth.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri October 21st, 2011, 11:19 pm

What very very sad news Rebecca - I hope you and your family get the medical support you need so your father can be as comfortable as possible in the months ahead. And yes, come here to vent and/or escape!

EC, so sorry to hear of your loss. I loved your FIL stories!

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 3:11 am

Thank you all so much for your kind words and thoughts and it grieves me to read how many others have lost loved one's :( ....It is such a terrible thing to lose someone you love so much. We lost our mother on News Years Eve 1994 when she was only 56 yrs old to cancer, so we have an idea what is coming our way.

SarahW and Divia you have made a good point and I will discuss this with the doctors in that I don't want Dad to suffer if it can be avoided and it seems the biopsy may be a painful procedure.

The good news is that Dad is now home, he was pining terribly in the hospital and after a discussion with the doctors at Flinders they then organised for a district nurse to come and inject Dad with the blood thinners so he could come home in that there is nothing more that they can do for him. They want him to go back in 2-3 weeks for the biopsy but as was suggested I will now question them about that procedure.

I've kept myself busy during the day cleaning the house like a mad woman but at nights I find it hard to sleep....

"lurch in the gut moment.." Elizabeth, that is a very apt way to describe it because it did feel as if the doctor had punched me in the gut in that I did not suspect it for one moment that he had cancer and I am feeling angry with his local GP in that the cancer is advanced how could Dad's doctor not know?!

I did suspect something was wrong with Dad in that his appetite had diminished and he kept complaining of feeling nauseous but when I discussed this with his local GP he waved me off as if were an hysteric!

But again many, many thanks for your kind words...You really have touched my heart and lifted my spirits...I feel as if I am amongst kind hearted friends and that's a good place to be. :)

"If you can raise the spirits of another, then your life has not been in vain."

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 9:56 am

I'm sure you have some great memories, Rebecca, so they will be of some comfort to you to keep remembering. I lost my dad 10 years ago and I can still sit here and smile at my memories. My mum is still alive and I always tell her how lucky she was to have him as her husband.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 12:48 pm

I'm also very sorry to hear your sad news, Rebecca. My thoughts are with your father, you and your family at this really dark, difficult time.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Rebecca, I hope your father is more comfortable and settled at home, and I hope you manage to have him with you for a while.

Sorry to hear your news, Elizabeth. Condolences to you and your family.
Last edited by Madeleine on Sun October 23rd, 2011, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun October 23rd, 2011, 4:26 am

Thank you all once again for keeping us in your thoughts and also Elizabeth and so many others who have suffered loss.....

I can say that though Dad is not eating much he does seem happier to be home...Whatever time is left to us we will treasure and yes I always remember my mother daily with love and thanks and I will do so with my father....It's just difficult and grief is a lonely journey but it is also a part of life....

Bec :)

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Mon October 24th, 2011, 11:39 am

I also meant to express my sympathies to you and your family, EC2. It sounds a rough time for you all.

@Rebecca: it's good that you've got your dad home. A much nicer place to be than a hospital, if it can be arranged. Thinking of you.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon October 24th, 2011, 1:16 pm

EC-So sorry for your loss.

Bec-Ditto to everything everyone else has said. I am at a complete loss as to what to say or how to say it that doesn't sound pathetic or condescending. So, big hugs and lots of prayers/thoughts coming your way!
Brenna

Return to “Chat”