Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Makes You Happy?

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Thu October 13th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Those magical words I typed yesterday: "The End"
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun October 16th, 2011, 3:49 am

My father is in hospital he has a blood clot in his leg and his blood levels are all over the place which doesn't make me happy :( and it seems he will be there for the rest of the week, poor Dad :(

But it gave me the opportunity to chat with the nurses who love reading and I had a 'light bulb' moment and decided to donate a whole ton of books to the hospital library and ofcourse the nurses had first pick and it was great to hear them exclaiming over the different books...'I'll have this one'....'you can have that one....'ect. That made me happy :D

Some of the books I donated

The Devils Queen

Lady of the Rivers

Memoirs of a bitch

Tony Blair a biography

Captive Queen

Outlander

The Boleyn Wife

Behind Enemy Lines

The Help

The Kings Mistress

The Peoples Queen

The Traitors Wife

Hugh and Bess

A lot more but I forget now what they were...The nurses were very very happy :D and I hope some of the authors whose books I donated will also feel pleased that their works will be read and appreciated by the nurses and patients at our local hospital :) .

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun October 16th, 2011, 4:27 pm

What a lovely idea Bec. Hope your father recovers soon.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon October 17th, 2011, 3:42 pm

What a fab idea Bec, I bet they'll be very much appreciated! :) Hope your dad gets better soon and is soon out of hospital.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon October 17th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Wow Bec you have had one heck of a few weeks! I hope your juju gets better and your father makes a speedy recovery!
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue October 18th, 2011, 1:17 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Dad has been transferred to Adelaide Flinders Medical Centre where they are doing tests on him. It seems he has an infection somewhere in his body and they don't know where it is and they have to try and get rid of that blood clot....I hope we will find out more in the next few days.

I will keep you updated and yep the past few weeks have not been the best, let's hope things improve. :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri October 21st, 2011, 11:18 pm

Rebecca, I'll add my prayers and good wishes to everyone else's. It was generous of you to bring books to those who love them; and it sounds like such a nice variety! May you get back what you have given ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon October 24th, 2011, 2:40 am

[quote=""DianeL""]Rebecca, I'll add my prayers and good wishes to everyone else's. It was generous of you to bring books to those who love them; and it sounds like such a nice variety! May you get back what you have given ...[/quote]

Thanks Diane :)
I am now in the process of collecting more books to donate...The nurses here work really hard and not for much pay so it's good to give back to those who give so much of themselves to the welfare of others. I hope my idea may inspire others to donate to their local hospitals..... :)

Return to “Chat”