Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Unhappy author emails critical reviewer

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Unhappy author emails critical reviewer

Post by Misfit » Wed May 11th, 2011, 8:34 pm

This is a bit creepy.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed May 11th, 2011, 9:18 pm

I read the comment on the link you provided and shot straight off to check that my email address was not available on my profile at Amazon. That gave me the fright of my life. But luckily it was not. It is rather worrying that it is possible to make a mistake like that.

Not that I have time to write more than a handful of reviews but....
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 11th, 2011, 9:53 pm

[quote=""SGM""]I read the comment on the link you provided and shot straight off to check that my email address was not available on my profile at Amazon. That gave me the fright of my life. But luckily it was not. It is rather worrying that it is possible to make a mistake like that.

Not that I have time to write more than a handful of reviews but....[/quote]

It isn't a bad idea to check one's profile page and the privacy settings and double check you're not giving out anything like that. Lol, just for kicks I put a throw away email address on my profile just to see what happened. Got lots of offers from self pubbed authors asking me to review their book and then proceeded to tell me where I could buy it. Took the email down lickety split :D

ETA: if I read the thread correctly, it turns out that the author got the reviewer's email from another source like a google account and not via the Amazon profile page.
Last edited by Misfit on Wed May 11th, 2011, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu May 12th, 2011, 12:19 am

Thats dumb. I twasnt a mean review. God. Some people are very touchy.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu May 12th, 2011, 1:35 am

[quote=""Divia""]Thats dumb. I twasnt a mean review. God. Some people are very touchy.[/quote]

Lol. Then there's the author so ticked over a three star (!!!!) review I gave he/she tried to cook up some addle brained scheme to get that awful person thrown off of Amazon. Do you have any idea how truly BAD one has to be to get thrown off of Amazon?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu May 12th, 2011, 1:43 am

I think the author made a mistake of judgment in writing to the reviewer, but I saw the author's post on the thread, which sounded reasonable enough. I wonder if the reviewer took some remarks which were intended to be humorous in the wrong way. Some people did mention that the reviewer's e-mail address was readily available on Amazon, so I wouldn't call the author's conduct stalking by any stretch of the imagination.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu May 12th, 2011, 2:18 am

In any case, if there has been no previous contact between author and reviewer, it's just bad form for an author to email a reviewer to say anything other than "thanks for the review" or maybe "may I send you a copy of my next book?" It's pointless to contact reviewers to argue with their opinions about the book - no author is ever going to change a reviewer's opinion by doing that - at least not in a more favorable direction!

Some people get more nervous than others about unsolicited emails. Personally, it doesn't particularly bother me, because it's not like someone knowing my phone number or my home address where they can come and be creepy in person. But the typical Amazon reviewer is not a professional reviewer, may not be used to getting emails from people they don't know (other than spam), and may well feel creeped out by an unsolicited email. It behooves authors to be aware of this and not put anything in an unsolicited email that could be construed as intimidating.

But then, just as authors need to realize people will react to their books publicly in a whole variety of ways, people who review books in a public forum should probably also be aware that authors will react in a variety of ways. People who are highly sensitive to criticism may not be best suited to either publishing or reviewing!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu May 12th, 2011, 2:46 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I wonder if the reviewer took some remarks which were intended to be humorous in the wrong way. [/quote]

Being a mod on another forum whenever I have to reprimand someone the admins remind myself and the other mods smilies go a long way. Just cause the author thought it was funny or was funny to them doesnt mean it reads that way.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 12th, 2011, 3:05 am

Authors really do have to learn to just let it go when it comes to Amazon reviews, assuming that they're not offensive or abusive ones, of course. Mixing it up with reviewers on Amazon does nothing for an author's rep and just makes them look like jerks. Same goes for friends and fans of an author- they're not doing any favours by getting stuck in. A reader is perfectly entitled to say why they didn't find a book particularly satisfactory. Contacting a reviewer directly is just taking things one more step too far and smacks of stalking.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu May 12th, 2011, 3:16 am

Another day in the soap opera that is Amazon.

Return to “Chat”