Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Royal Wedding: Talkback thread.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri April 29th, 2011, 7:49 pm

What SM just said. Let's please keep this civil and respectful to all shall we?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri April 29th, 2011, 7:53 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Agreed. But Harry has a full head of hair.[/quote]

Well for the time being he does! Maybe he takes more after Diana's side then Charles'.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 29th, 2011, 7:54 pm

I thought the mother carried the gene for hair loss? Is this true. I wasn't very good in bio.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:04 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I thought the mother carried the gene for hair loss? Is this true. I wasn't very good in bio.[/quote]

No idea, sorry. I sucked at science as well.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:12 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I thought the mother carried the gene for hair loss? Is this true. I wasn't very good in bio.[/quote]

Yep, something else to blame on us poor mothers! :rolleyes:
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:14 pm

The balding thing seems to be a Windsor trait- Prince Edward started going bald very young as well. Prince William seems to be relatively comfortable about it- he hasn't gone in for any hair transplanting stuff, though it must be a bit galling to see Harry running around with his shock of hair. The old genetic ballot- you never know what you'll get. I was always peeved that my sisters took after my father's side of the family- tall and blonde - while I got the dark-haired midget genes from my mother's side :)

Loved the dress. I'm with Divia on not being a fan of the skimpy evening dress wedding style and I really hated the corset look which was all the go a year or two back. Didn't the attendants at Charles & Diana's wedding wear the same cream colour as the bride? Maybe it's a royal thing. Though it was an elegant effect and the attendants looked lovely (I wonder how many proposals Pippa will get!) I thought a bit of discreet colour would have been attractive.

I was quite amused to see that Kate's tiara, officially called the Scroll tiara, is known in royal circles as the "starter" tiara. Presumably this is because it's quite modest and you can use it to get your tiara-wearer's learner's licence before building up the confidence to try something with more dramatic bling. Remember the monster tiara Princess Margaret wore for her wedding? No "starters" for her! The Scroll was ideal for Kate, though, and matched her look of restrained elegance perfectly.

Edited to say that for those confused about what the tiara is actually called, "halo" is a jeweller's term used to describe a specific style of tiara, while "The Scroll Tiara" is this particular piece's official name in the royal jewellery inventory.
Last edited by annis on Fri April 29th, 2011, 9:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:49 pm

My dad and I watched the coverage on our local PBS station which was doing a live feed from BBC 1. (BBC America was doing the same) Less annoying commentary!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:51 pm

[quote=""princess garnet""]My dad and I watched the coverage on our local PBS station which was doing a live feed from BBC 1. (BBC America was doing the same) Less annoying commentary![/quote]

Oh. I didnt think about PBS.

I watched NBC. They talked beforehand but didn't utter a peep during the ceremony. Thank god! They also had none of those foolish little boxes like TLC did, where you could see the talkign heads...talk...which who wants to see that nonsense? :confused:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:59 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Oh. I didnt think about PBS.

I watched NBC. They talked beforehand but didn't utter a peep during the ceremony. Thank god! They also had none of those foolish little boxes like TLC did, where you could see the talkign heads...talk...which who wants to see that nonsense? :confused: [/quote]

I chose NBC to DVR because it had the shortest amount of coverage cause I didn't think my DVR would have enough space for many hours. BBC alone was 12am to 12pm, I think my DVR would have exploded!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri April 29th, 2011, 9:15 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Agreed. But Harry has a full head of hair.[/quote]

There was one shot of Harry, and you can see the balding starting. It does seem that balding is a Windsor/Hanoverian trait -- I was digging through some portraits of the earlier kings, and they all seem to be going to bare scalp pretty early on. Here's hoping that the Spencer genes will win out for Harry, and he doesn't loose too much.

I read that Kate's earrings were a gift from her parents, and they matched very nicely with the tiara. And it does seem that pale, nearly matching gowns for the bride's attendants are a tradition, to gauge from earlier weddings.

Return to “Chat”