Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Amusing Thing Today

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed November 2nd, 2011, 10:00 am

Oh that's spooky Rebecca. One of my friends used to have - and may still have them - a couple of shop mannikins, and also just the head and shoulder figures of a couple of mannikins, in her main room - the heads especially looked really creepy just sitting there. I think they were theatrical props that she got from somewhere but eugh!
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu November 3rd, 2011, 5:37 am

Watching sea lions play in the ocean.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat November 5th, 2011, 2:40 am

lol Madeleine about your friends mannequins, they'd spook me for sure :eek: I don't know why but I particularly dislike the dolls that look so real. I find them spooky :eek: .

But other than that I like to fill up our little bird feeder and watch the sparrows fly down for a feed and a drink. :D that makes me happy.

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue February 7th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Got a compliment from an online acquaintance about my book. I asked which one she was reading and she wrote back with a title I'd never heard of before. So I went to Google.

Apparently there's another author using the same name who writes erotic fiction. I'm not in a huff given that it's not my real name (and I doubt it's hers either) but I did research online before choosing it to make sure no one else was using it for writing.

Still, I find it a bit amusing to think of her fans picking up one of my books and being terribly disappointed. :D

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri February 10th, 2012, 1:43 am

LoveHistory: eep/hee! :D
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue April 10th, 2012, 9:00 pm

We went to York today and had a walk on the wall. Had to laugh when a woman said 'You'd think they'd have built a slipway from the wall to the station'. :rolleyes: Didn't she know what was built first??? :eek: LOL. Medieval wall, Victorian railway station, medieval wall, Victorian railway station??? There was a wall in Roman times but I don't think there is a lot left of it. But it's definitely medieval or slightly earlier.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue April 10th, 2012, 11:30 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]We went to York today and had a walk on the wall. Had to laugh when a woman said 'You'd think they'd have built a slipway from the wall to the station'. :rolleyes: Didn't she know what was built first??? :eek: LOL. Medieval wall, Victorian railway station, medieval wall, Victorian railway station??? There was a wall in Roman times but I don't think there is a lot left of it. But it's definitely medieval or slightly earlier.[/quote]

That is genuinely funny!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Chat”