Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri August 28th, 2009, 12:19 am

Got an e-mail today from a collection agency offering a settlement on an American Express card with a $14,000 balance.

I don't have an American Express card. I don't live at the California address noted on the documented e-mailed to me. I don't even live on the same side of the continent.

They say they will "look into it" and "IF" they find an error has been made, they will cease and desist.

Wtf???? "If"?????

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri August 28th, 2009, 12:24 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Got an e-mail today from a collection agency offering a settlement on an American Express card with a $14,000 balance.

I don't have an American Express card. I don't live at the California address noted on the documented e-mailed to me. I don't even live on the same side of the continent.

They say they will "look into it" and "IF" they find an error has been made, they will cease and desist.

Wtf???? "If"?????[/quote]

A scam possibly?
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:37 am

This has been a trying day....

First Amazon emailed me to let me know that the "Royal Tombs" book I ordered wasn't going to be available and they were cancelling my order.

Then I checked my US Bank account and noticed in my Check Card Authorizations that there was a charge from TWX*Magazine for $2.01. Not a huge amount but I didn't authorize any magazine company to take any money from my account. I called US Bank on the island, they said to call the 1800 number. Called, put on hold, waited 7 minutes, talked to a woman, transfered, on hold again, talked to another person, put on hold again, then cordless phone dies, $@($#@!

Had to call from regular phone, put on hold, told the person I needed to be transfered to the Fraud People and finally got the card (a check card, not credit) cancelled and the charge taken care of. Now I have to wait 7 to 10 calendar days for a new card. Will have to change the card number on all the services that have it like Ebay and Amazon. I'll have to use my mother's check card until I get a new one.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:45 am

SM, nope, don't think so. Think that either they were just fishing to find this person, or someone gave them the wrong e-mail that turns out to be mine. I've had e-mails for the wrong person before, directed to someone else with my name (which actually isn't that common.)

btw, tks for the book, SM, which arrived safely back today. Hope the card situation is resolved relatively painlessly -- good for you for catching it so quickly!!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:47 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]SM, nope, don't think so. Think that either they were just fishing to find this person, or someone gave them the wrong e-mail that turns out to be mine. I've had e-mails for the wrong person before, directed to someone else with my name (which actually isn't that common.)

btw, tks for the book, SM, which arrived safely back today. Hope the card situation is resolved relatively painlessly -- good for you for catching it so quickly!![/quote]

I think the first message was meant for Susan :)

Chatterbox: Thank you! I'm glad it came back to you safely!

I check my bank account fairly often. It's annoying to have to cancel my card number, I have to remember every account I need to change it on when I get the new one. I had to change Netflix and BF to my mother's number because I might not have the new # when they charge my account.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri August 28th, 2009, 3:52 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Got an e-mail today from a collection agency offering a settlement on an American Express card with a $14,000 balance.

Wtf???? "If"?????[/quote]

that sucks!
you need to dispute it with Experian, Equifax and Trans Union asap, if their calling then it's been reported against you, a dispute takes 30-60 days with them but if it's fraud it also fixes the blemish on the report as well as help get the info for a possible police report.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri August 28th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Tks Nona; it's not on my credit report, so it's just e-mail harassment. They obviously don't have my SS#; I just worry that they will think that this California person with the same name moved to New York and assume that because we have the same name, we are the same person.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri August 28th, 2009, 6:10 pm

well at least there is a plus side, right, lol. Hope they find her rather then keep bugging you.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri September 4th, 2009, 6:39 pm

I had a sinus cold last night that has turned into a sinus headache today. I can't go with my mom to the store and the bank, but at least I can breathe through my nose or I'd really be in trouble when I tried to sleep!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 9th, 2009, 2:59 am

My insurance for prescription meds won't cover the meds my doctor wanted me to take for fibromyalgia. They wanted $140 for 60 pills a month (I had to take it twice a day). I wasted a week and a half of being sick and dizzy getting used to it and now I have to try another med (assuming it's covered). Grumbles!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Chat”