Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Mon August 17th, 2009, 7:18 pm

SM, it is heartbreaking to lose a pet like that...

But still, I had to laugh at the idea of someone resorting to violence in defense of a pup named Gandhi, presumably in honor of the 'patron saint' of nonviolence... No disrespect intended, and I think the action was completely justified -- but the irony is abundant!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Falling Creatures by Katherine Stansfield
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue August 18th, 2009, 11:16 am

That's terrible SM, presumably the man didn't hit the pup deliberately though.
Currently reading "Falling Creatures" by Katherine Stansfield

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed August 19th, 2009, 3:51 am

I can't even sleep I'm so worried about my Ben. He got out again! This time he went through a window. Only instead of the railroad he headed for the highway. We have wonderful neighbors who know about the autism and stopped him, thank God! I don't understand how such a loud kid can escape so quietly. I can't help thinking about all the things that could happen to him. Nobody mentioned this when my boys were diagnosed, but apparently it's a common problem. Not to mention a dangerous one.

There was another autistic boy with the same name, just a little older, who disappeared early this year. It was about 50 miles from here. They found him after three days. In a creek near his home. My Ben loves water, and we live near a river.

I know I shouldn't be freaking myself out like this. It's just hard to not make that connection. I held everything back all evening. Now it's time to feel it.

Lauryn
Reader

Postby Lauryn » Wed August 19th, 2009, 5:17 am

LoveHistory: It seems to me like you are doing the right things in terms of trying to stop Ben - but keep in mind I have no kids at all, especially not escape-artist types. The wireless alarm sounds like a good idea, and I'm sure you've considered by now that alarming the windows will be wise too.

I understand a bit of why you are freaking yourself out, too. You make the connections about your Ben and the other boy, and it makes the worst-case scenario seem less remote than any of us want it to be. But the upside of fear is informed planning, which you are working on. When your late-night nerves get the better of you, try to remember to tell them that. Nerves don't always listen, I know, but sometimes they do.
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri August 21st, 2009, 11:58 pm

I have a sty in my right eye, it itches and hurts.

For the moment my prescription insurance is turning down the new drug I've been taking for fibromyalgia. My doctor is hoping to change their minds. We'll see :P

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 2:13 pm

Fibro sucks and so do insurance companies. I hope that gets straightened out for you Sonja. And hope your eye gets better fast too.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 4:00 pm

One of the kids borrowed my car and got into an accident. It was no-fault -- they hit a car stopped dead on the freeway -- and not too bad, almost got stopped in time -- but the passenger side front is history, and the other guy's car will need a lot of repairs. All on our high-deductible insurance.

Looks like I'll be driving the ranch truck for a while. At least I have another vehicle.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 10:53 pm

Were they hurt at all? If not, it sounds like a lucky escape.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am

"diamondlil" wrote:Were they hurt at all? If not, it sounds like a lucky escape.

No, if that were the case you can be sure that would be my worst thing, to heck with the vehicle! No harm done in her accident -- though that could not be said of the accident that originally stopped the freeway.

Actually, it is probably a good thing that my daughter borrowed my car. She was going into San Francisco to pick something up, her own car's battery was dead, so she asked me for a jump. I didn't like the idea of her car maybe not starting on the other end (SF isn't a good place to be broken down in at night) so I suggested she use mine instead.

So that could actually be a 'best thing' because my minivan is lighter and has anti-lock brakes. If she'd been driving her business van, she wouldn't have been able to stop in time, and the other guy would really have been creamed.

There were many other fender-benders happening at the same time. When a major road goes from 65 mph to 0 at rush hour, a lot of damage is done.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed August 26th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Had a huge panic today. Two days a week my son comes home by himself as he then goes to sport. Our deal is that he has to ring me the second he gets into the house. Half an hour after he is due home no phone call. Turns out he had forgotten his keys, and then gone to his friends house (where no one was home) and then ended up at the neighbours. In the meantime I had my sister on her way here, and I was heading towards the train just in case. Panic over, but the sooner my commute is that much shorter the better!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”