Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat August 15th, 2009, 8:24 pm

After a week long visit my daughter and her boyfriend headed back to Indiana today. I cry every time she leaves. They are driving and are planning to drive straight through (about 17 hours). Makes me nervous as hell - my stomach will probably knot up every time the phone rings. On the "plus" side however (I guess...) she's now walking around with a year's worth of tuition in diamonds on her left hand and they are planning on getting married in October 2010. We went dress shopping yesterday - she looked like a little girl playing dress up. Makes me feel really old...

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sat August 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Sheramy, that's what my friend said when she called me yesterday afternoon to talk about this. We'd both always told each other (and both of us have been through some major problems this year) that at least we had our health -- and then we'd laugh. We're not laughing any more -- somehow this is now real.

Is it evil to feel that maybe by knowing 3 people with this horrible disease (which is my personal nightmare) that I may have dodged the bullet? It's very rare... It feels kind of ugly to even think that way, but....

Tanzanite -- am sure yr daughter will be fine, and will keep fingers crossed. And that would be daughter & fiance, not daughter & boyfriend now!!! :) Which is great news.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat August 15th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Yesterday the five year old escaped again. He would have an excellent future as a spy, given that he's the loudest person I know but when he wants to stay under the radar he doesn't make even the slightest sound. He even put the chair back before going out. The chair he needed to get up to where the chains and alarm are.

This child won't go in the backyard by himself but has no problem going through three doors to get out through the garage on his own. Of course he went straight for the railroad tracks again.

So we've installed yet another lock, and we'll be getting a wireless alarm system that he won't be able to turn off.

Now I have to go help clean up the cornstarch that is everywhere. Kid looks like half a ghost. The almost two year old isn't this much trouble!

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun August 16th, 2009, 3:59 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Tanzanite -- am sure yr daughter will be fine, and will keep fingers crossed. And that would be daughter & fiance, not daughter & boyfriend now!!! :) Which is great news.[/quote]

I'm in denial! They did make it home OK - unfortunately they had 2 sick dogs to deal with.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun August 16th, 2009, 5:49 pm

My sister called, her not even 1 year old Min-Pin Ghandi G was hit by a car and died :( She may be coming over with her kids. It's so sad, she adored him.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sun August 16th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Sorry to hear that SM.

Worst thing today is that this is my fourth migraine within the week. I can't believe it because I have been relatively migraine free for the last couple of years. I haven't been drinking, I exercise almost every day and watch what I eat. The only thing I can think of is the bloody humidity!

I used to laugh when my grandmother with her thick German accent would say "Ach, just cut my head off!" after suffering from migraines, but now I can honestly say I can sympathize!
Andrea

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 16th, 2009, 9:14 pm

SM I am sorry to hear that.

Blah, migraines. My mother suffered from them. I only pray I dont get them. But to have 4 in one week! My sympathizes.

For me its hotter than yeah you know. I feel so drained. I sit and do nothing and of course i have no ac.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon August 17th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Zsig, I empathize & can relate. It probably is the humidity, or at least the air pressure. (that's why I inevitably get one when I fly...)
The worst thing is getting trapped into one of those cycles where they just follow one another. If you can manage to get to an ER, they will give you some IV meds for it that should (a) get you some sleep, which helps break the cycle and (b) help with the underlying blood vessel weirdness the causes all this.
You might want to get your doc to prescribe something that you can take in future and have it on standby, just in case. Have you got ice packs to hand? I find those remarkably helpful; you can get reusable ones at a drugstore & use over and over again. Look for the gel ones (vs the ones with the thick blue plastic coating that looks like something you would use in a cooler to keep food cold.) The gel ones (a) don't smell, (b) last longer and (c) re-freeze faster.
I've been tremendously lucky this summer, with fewer migraines than usual; I think it's because the weather has been relatively cool, if still a bit too rainy. Heat and stormy weather are a toxic combination.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon August 17th, 2009, 4:35 pm

its hot. too bloody hot.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon August 17th, 2009, 5:48 pm

My sister and her kids came over yesterday, and when she told us what happened with the puppy I couldn't help but cry, it was so sad and needless!

She and the kids buried him in our yard until we have to move or they have a home with a yard they can put him in.

Sister actually punched the man who was driving the car who hit Ghandi. She's lucky he didn't press charges when the police showed up. Sigh, she was just so heartbroken.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”