Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu December 31st, 2009, 12:47 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Unfortunately I don't think that'll happen. He lives in L.A. or did, but he's moving in with some friends. I can't afford to fly there and with all the stuff going on with flights and not being able to read or go to the restroom the last hour would be a bit of a torture for me![/quote]

Why can't you read? Don't tell me they're stopping you from doing that as well? It's been reported over here about not being able to go to the loo, but reading?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu December 31st, 2009, 4:18 pm

Woke up to snow this am so I had to clean off my car before leaving home. When I arrived in the city, no snow to be seen!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu December 31st, 2009, 5:48 pm

Hopefully not the worst thing but...I was shocked to find that my largest pairs of jeans are now too small for me. :(

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu December 31st, 2009, 7:03 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Why can't you read? Don't tell me they're stopping you from doing that as well? It's been reported over here about not being able to go to the loo, but reading?[/quote]

Yes, on some flights they are not letting passengers get up, use the bathroom and in some cases read for the last hour of the flight.

I'm HUGELY grateful that the bomb failed on Christmas, but I'd rather not fly anywhere at the moment.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu December 31st, 2009, 7:57 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Yes, on some flights they are not letting passengers get up, use the bathroom and in some cases read for the last hour of the flight.
[/quote]

WTF? What do they think you're going to do, throw books at the cockpit? So everyone will sit there, with nothing to do and possibly desperate for the loo, hoping they're not delayed in landing. Definitely crossing the US off my holiday list for now :mad: (no offence meant to anyone on this board, but I thought the UK government was good at over-reacting:confused :) . It's merciful this attack was thwarted, but these precautions are ridiculous; what about children who need to be kept occupied?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu December 31st, 2009, 11:53 pm

wow, thats crazy. Do you think it will hurt the airlines money wise, I know I'll not fly if those are the restrictions are continued tobe enforced. I agree with two young childern it would be next to impposible to keep them still and buckled.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 1st, 2010, 12:04 am

I think, their thinking is, if someone has a book out they can conceal what they're doing underneath it or if it's on a tray, but that's just my best guess of a stupid rule.

You know in my state there's a business that has a device that can tell if there's something not organic (ie human) on you when they scan you (if the airport in Amsterdam had this device they would've seen the guy was wearing something with explosives in it). They also have a device that you put your bottle of liquid in and it'll tell you right away if it's something drinkable or something like bleach or other bad liquid. But it's difficult for a small business to get their stuff in the airports.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri January 1st, 2010, 6:00 am

The idea, I gather, is that you're not allowed to have anything in your hands or lap during the final hour of a flight. Now, for some short flights -- like going to see my family -- that would mean the entire flight, basically. And it doesn't make any sense. I mean, why not just the whole flight? Face it, we're a hair's breadth away from just being forced to strip, done special sterile suits and diapers, and be strapped to our seats for the whole flight. As if flying in economy isn't difficult enough as it is! I'm claustrophobic, and sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane is a book.

Worst thing today -- migraine all day. Not getting any better.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri January 1st, 2010, 1:49 pm

This all sounds as if people may be put off from flying full stop, which isn't going to do the economy any good either. It all seems a little over the top to not let people read. What if someone has an upset tummy? :eek:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri January 1st, 2010, 4:05 pm

I thought it was stupid too until my mother reminded me of those hollowed out books you can stash things in.

I don't fly, but I've come up with a little list of things you can do during the last hour of your flight that should be ok:

"99 bottles of beer on the wall. 99 bottles of beer. If one of those bottles should happen to fall..."

Count sheep

List all the presidents or kings (country of your choice) in order

List all the popes in order (to spice things up include anti-popes)

Sing your favorite hits from the '80s (but nothing with the words fire, boom, or hi-jack)

Invent funny names for people or characters

Create a story in your head for the person sitting next to/across from you

Review the highlights of your last ten years

Plan your own personal castle

Gnaw off your arm.

Admittedly, that last one might disturb people.

Return to “Chat”