Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 6th, 2014, 11:27 am

That's very sad. Thoughts are with you. Hugs.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri February 7th, 2014, 2:44 am

Oh, Faith - I hope you and all her family and loved ones and friends will be well ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue February 11th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. It's a shock, but the family is pulling through. We had them over for dinner last night, just a quiet evening out of the house.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon April 28th, 2014, 12:12 am

Rather a grim hike today, around police tape and some remnants of auto head and tail-lights. Yesterday when I drove to the trailhead of my daily walk, I was met with police cars, coroner's vans and a helicopter and told "this end of the park is closed due to a major crime scene." When I asked what happened, he said "I'm sure you'll read about it."

I did my walk elsewhere, wondering if hiking the hill had become unsafe...

But as it turned out, it was something worse. A young mother (who may well have been afflicted with severe postpartum depression, BTW) had tried to kill herself and her 7-month infant by ramming her car back and forth. When that didn't work, she left it running (which is what the police were first called to, they thought it was a hit-and-run) grabbed the baby and ran off into the brush, where she tried to stab herself and her child. The kid died. She didn't.

Very messy and sad, and much too close to home. It will be a few days before the hill feels quite the same daily hike.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 28th, 2014, 8:46 am

That's horrible MLE.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon April 28th, 2014, 8:49 am

How tragic and awful! Sounds as if the mother needs some desperate help. She must've just flipped.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed June 4th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Very painful sore throat. Cough medicine head.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue June 10th, 2014, 7:09 pm

I wish you well, Diane. I had something like that a month ago: sore throat, cough, headache...the cough is still hanging on.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue June 10th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Faith, thank you so much! Feeling very well now, so no new "worsts" for me right now. :)

fljustice
Bibliophile

RIP: Chloe

Post by fljustice » Sat February 7th, 2015, 9:20 pm

We had to have our elderly cat Chloe put down today. She's been frail for a year and suddenly blew up like a beach ball a couple of weeks ago. It turned out she had cancer and the tumors were leaking fluid. We're lucky our vet makes house calls, so she came to us and Chloe passed quietly surrounded by her home and loving humans. She was seventeen and had a good run. She was never a lap cat, but loved to follow me from room to room, just to be close. She will be missed.

Return to “Chat”