Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat July 24th, 2010, 12:27 am

my bank forgot to send my new debit card and new checks...this bites that I have to drive all the way to the bank to get cash otherwise I cannot buy anything

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon July 26th, 2010, 2:43 pm

This was yesterday, actually.....

I left my house on my way to church in the morning, only to discover that my car was making a terrible thumping noise. I knew it had something to do with a tire, although they all looked fine. So I drove to the nearest tire shop (thank goodness they were open on Sunday) afraid to go over 25 mph even though it is one of the busiest streets in the city (thank goodness Sunday morning traffic isn't too heavy). Added to my nervousness was that another car followed right behind me nearly the entire way. I'm sure he was being a Good Samaritan, but still, it made me nervous!!

Four new tires later, my car is fine. I think it must sense that I want to trade it in on a newer model next year, because it has forced me to spend quite a bit of $$$ on it this year. ;) Every time I spend money on it, I decide to keep it just a little bit longer....

Although I'm posting this as a "worst thing," it could easily be a "best thing;" after all, the best thing is that this didn't happen when I was driving 70 down the freeway!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon July 26th, 2010, 4:56 pm

OMG.

So I was told today that I cannot place a book order with Follett because its over 5,000 dollars and I need ahem 3 different quotes! Now, I have over 400 books on this order. So that means I have to check, each title, individually with three different venders to see which is the best price. WTF. Seriously? I've never heard of anything so flippin dumb in my life. I'm not doing this during my summer vacation. F that! If this is how it needs to be done then I'll do it when I am at work.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon July 26th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Because of a bad storm system that came through yesterday, it wrecked havoc on this morning's commute. The late morning commute for me usually is a breeze but it was as if rush hour wasn't over!

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Mon July 26th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Took my granddaughter to see Toy Story 3 today - absolutely brilliant and yes, I did shed a few tears at the end!

On the walk back, we heard a loud bang as a car collided with a bird! The woman driver looked out of her window, hand over mouth in shock and then drove on. The young seagull was left lying, broken and fluttering on the pavement opposite us. Realising I couldn't just leave it, I looked to find something to break over its head so as to kill it, but couldn't find anything. So, telling Kelly to look away, I went over and, putting my head on the bird's head, I twisted and broke it's neck!

Just lovely!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon July 26th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Stinky experience Ken, but good for you for having the mercy to do it. I tend to get very judgmental when people let animals go through needless pain and suffering because dealing with it makes THEM feel bad.

Um, you did mean that you put your hand, or foot on the seagull's head to wring its neck? the 'head on head' wording brings a very odd picture to mind...

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Mon July 26th, 2010, 7:23 pm

[quote=""MLE""]Stinky experience Ken, but good for you for having the mercy to do it. I tend to get very judgmental when people let animals go through needless pain and suffering because dealing with it makes THEM feel bad.

Um, you did mean that you put your hand, or foot on the seagull's head to wring its neck? the 'head on head' wording brings a very odd picture to mind...[/quote]

Oh, dear! Memo to self not to try to type too fast! I meant 'foot' of course! Not a pleasant experience! :(

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon July 26th, 2010, 7:45 pm

actually yesterday and today...

My poor daughter just cant seem to catch a break in trying to get her life back on track - yesterday she turned left in front of someone and has probably totaled her car. Fortunately, the seat belt and air bag saved her from being seriously injured. Her father is absolutely furious with her - it didn't help that this is the 2nd accident she's been in recently (although the other one was just a minor fender bender) and has gotten two traffic tickets since she's been out here...

I can hardly wait to see what this does to our insurance.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon July 26th, 2010, 7:49 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I tend to get very judgmental when people let animals go through needless pain and suffering because dealing with it makes THEM feel bad.[/quote]

Oh, Ken, so sorry you and your granddaughter had to go through that, but good for you for stepping up. I was home for a family event a couple of weeks ago and rescued an eight-week-old kitten that was sitting on a blistering concrete step in front of the church - its eyes and nose were matted shut (eye infection, URI, ear mites and fleas) and it sat there in the heat mewling weakly while several of my relatives passed by several times. I couldn't believe grown humans could let a small animal sit in the heat and suffer like that. My sister and I washed it up, took it to the vet, and nursed it back to health, much to the amusement of my nephews. Cat life is cheap in the country. :(
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 27th, 2010, 10:28 am

I'm glad you took care of the kitten, did you keep it once it was better?

What a horrible thing for you to have to do Ken (must admit I wondered at your head on it's head though!), but at least you put the poor thing out of it's suffering.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Chat”