Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue June 9th, 2009, 2:22 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Spent most of last night at the emergency room with an aged parent. The evening was enlivened by a drunk a few doors down shouting, "I want to go home!" about every twenty minutes or so.[/quote]

Hope you're not too exhausted today and that everything turned out not too bad.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue June 9th, 2009, 2:36 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Spent most of last night at the emergency room with an aged parent. The evening was enlivened by a drunk a few doors down shouting, "I want to go home!" about every twenty minutes or so.[/quote]

Hope everything was okay. Has the parent been admitted, or were you all able to go home?

Diamondlil - never rains but it pours. Hope the lurgie is fast to clear up and the internet probs soon sorted.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue June 9th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Got my new shoes yesterday, and have to return them because they are too tight. Oh, and five year old got up at 1 AM. That in itself wasn't too bad but around 2:30 I started getting spasms in my back.

Kids' computer isn't working, but that's almost a blessing in disguise.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue June 9th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Thanks, sweetpotatoboy & EC2! Parent is at home and OK.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue June 9th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Not looking forward to driving through a heavy storm when I go home later this evening.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue June 9th, 2009, 10:45 pm

BoswellBaxter, Glad everything is OK... Nothing scarier than that, except perhaps for kids in the same situation. Viva la sandwich generation!

Although the ER, if you are in a position to appreciate it, is probably one of those great places to find all the eccentrics in the world. My sis-in-law, a doctor, has documented the full moon effect in Credit Valley, Ontario...

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue June 9th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Today my eldest, a contractor, was laid off. The housing industry in California has been so slow, it isn't a surprise, although his company was a biggish one, and he was among the last they let go.

Well, at least the other two are working right now. Over the last five years, at least one of our three sons (I include my son-in-law here) has been out of work. Which means we're about to start another round of 'support the son' home improvement projects.

*sigh* And here I thought we would finally be able to sock more away for the impending retirement. Another difficult aspect of being the 'sandwich generation'.

Hope your parent stays well, Boswellbaxter.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed June 10th, 2009, 1:03 am

Boswell Baxter - hope your parent is feeling better. Glad to hear that they are at home it is definitely a difficult thing to go through!

Diamondlil - hope the lurgie clears up quickly and hope to have you back on line soon!

Chatterbox - I work in a psychiatric hospital and swear by the full moon bringing all of the oddest people out of the wood works - including the employees! ;)

LoveHistory - hope your back is better soon and try to get some rest.

MLE - sorry to hear about your son. My husband lost his job in March, but was lucky enough to find a new one, although he now lives out of town during the week in order to work at his new job. He is lucky to have parents who may be able to assist!

Take care all,
Andrea

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Wed June 10th, 2009, 4:26 am

Okay, my worst thing today is definitely getting some perspective. No family hospital trips, no unemployment, no lurgies (I think), and no back pain. Just good old-fashioned techno-fumbles.

My email went out this morning, with several large deadlines pending today, and in the process of trying to deal with that, my whole system froze, which is no big deal, if you have half an hour or so to force a reboot and wait around for your files to check out. According to my clients, I didn't.

Office Guru keeps telling me the laptop will work better if A) I don't keep offering to pitch it out the window, and B) I remain calm at all times. To which I respond: Pass the Shiraz. And no, the laptop doesn't deserve any. :D
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed June 10th, 2009, 8:37 am

Oh, gosh, lots of people in the wars today! Hope everyone is feeling better or feeling a lot happier!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Chat”