Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon September 1st, 2008, 3:40 pm

Oh middle schoolers. They are a different breed, arent they? At least your jump wasnt as shocking as mine. High school librarian down to an elementary librarian. That's a huge age gap. And considering I dont know kids, never wanted them, and never wanted to teach them this is going to be difficult.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon September 1st, 2008, 3:59 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Oh middle schoolers. They are a different breed, arent they? At least your jump wasnt as shocking as mine. High school librarian down to an elementary librarian. That's a huge age gap. And considering I dont know kids, never wanted them, and never wanted to teach them this is going to be difficult.[/quote]

That is a big jump and you will have to deal with totally different needs. My district (which is a large urban district) has done away with middle schools and made all the elementary schools PreK-8 or K-8, so I am going from a middle school with 6-8 to a PreK-8 school. At least there will be far fewer middle schoolers, so hopefully things will be a bit calmer.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 6:50 pm

my worst thing is the dh went off to a conference in Edinburgh without me. :( His company put him two to a room with the other guy, so what with my airfare and hotel, it was just more than this month's budget could bear for me to go too.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:20 pm

[quote=""MLE""]my worst thing is the dh went off to a conference in Edinburgh without me. :( His company put him two to a room with the other guy, so what with my airfare and hotel, it was just more than this month's budget could bear for me to go too.[/quote]

Edinburgh .... sigh. I'd probably have to abuse my credit card account for a trip under those circumstances. I wouldn't have the willpower to resist Scotland.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:29 am

More germs!

I picked up my son from after school care tonight and he had another temperature. This virus will just not let go!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:33 am

Hope your son feels better soon, Diamondlil. Keep his immune system strong.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:08 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]More germs!

I picked up my son from after school care tonight and he had another temperature. This virus will just not let go![/quote]

If he has the same as we have all had, you are in for a long slog! Plenty of fluids, panandol and rest, I know, easier said than done! Plenty of vitamin rich foods and hope! I think Becky has managed to shake it off after three weeks, the rest of us have good and bad days.

Hope he feels better soon!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu September 4th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Earlier one of our library volunteers in another division expressed frustration about not finding a job for a long time. Because the volunteer is blind, it's more difficult. We hear a lot about people who can't get jobs but not so much about those with physical disabilites.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat September 6th, 2008, 3:13 am

Psyching myself up to mow the lawn seeing as it is such a nice day, but not being able to get the *bleep* lawn mower to start. :mad: :mad:

I am not a gardener at the best of times, so this is extremely frustrating.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Sat September 6th, 2008, 3:22 am

The American political commercials AND Canadian political commercials at the same time! Like we really need an election after watching the stupid American politics for months and months! Not that politics are not important, but my GOD! And they are so stupid... I just watched a commercial where Harper talks about how being a father is the most important thing he has ever done... Lots of people are parents, doesn't mean they can run a country! Ahem, carry on!

Oh, good, another one. I will one day understand what those random blurbs mean about running a country... They are just scripted stuff.... I think politicians think their country-folk are stupid...

I'm at work, I have little else to do!
Last edited by Kailana on Sat September 6th, 2008, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”