Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Any Latin Lovers?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 15th, 2011, 4:46 pm

I never did Latin at school, it never appealed.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Tue February 15th, 2011, 6:51 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]I bow down to your research skills annis, but I should've guessed that I am not the only idiot on the planet who doesn't know Latin, yet wants to know what those particular words mean. :rolleyes: [/quote]

I too bow to the incomparable research skills of Annis and the great posts and stirring of the 'pointy' Miss Misfit!

Have you tried Google Translate Rowan? I have found that for Latin it is pretty good. Its French isn't bad, but you do need to check it through and correct the sense of the translated piece!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue February 15th, 2011, 7:45 pm

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but when I first read the title of this thread I thought of, well, Rudolph Valentino and the like. :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue February 15th, 2011, 10:27 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I don't know if it was intentional or not, but when I first read the title of this thread I thought of, well, Rudolph Valentino and the like. :) [/quote]

Me too, given that it was posted on Valentine's Day. :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 15th, 2011, 11:17 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I don't know if it was intentional or not, but when I first read the title of this thread I thought of, well, Rudolph Valentino and the like. :) [/quote]

I had a couple of different thoughts run through my head as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed February 16th, 2011, 11:35 am

I did Latin till O-level (at 15) and was top of the class. I loved it and it stood me in great stead for learning other languages and a facility with language in general.
However, that's almost 30 years ago now and I wouldn't be able to compose a sentence in it now. A shame, but there you go.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Me too, I started thinking of Zorro etc and got a bit excited! ;)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed February 16th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Sorry to burst your bubbles ladies. It didn't even occur to me what day it was that I was posting it. I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day so it was hardly on my mind.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed February 16th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Actually, I didn't even catch the Valentine's Day connection. That just makes it more serendipitous (sp?). :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu February 17th, 2011, 1:59 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Actually, I didn't even catch the Valentine's Day connection. That just makes it more serendipitous (sp?). :) [/quote]

I didn't either! :D

Return to “Chat”