Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HF Blogger fired from day job

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

HF Blogger fired from day job

Post by Margaret » Sun January 9th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Just found this tidbit in New York Magazine: Woman Torn Between Unpaid Historical Fiction Blogging and Job at Chase. Weird. She was fired from her banking job for blogging about historical novels on her own time. Apparently bankers aren't allowed to blog about anything! Sounds like a free speech issue to me.

Wonder if the blogger is a member here?
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sun January 9th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Ridiculous. Is this the United States or what?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 9th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Oh FGS. It's not like she's off hot in the political arena using her real name or something. I fail to see how a blog, or writing fiction qualifies as posting online personal speeches.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun January 9th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Super lame.

If she couldn't blog about banking or something like that I could understand. I mean its tied to her job...but dude, its historical fiction, which according to a few comments people have no idea what it is anyway.

I could see teachers getting in trouble for their blogs. I'm super careful what I say on mine since its linked to my school's webpage. I could see mine being yanked or me being spoken to before the other lady.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Mon January 10th, 2011, 8:19 pm

It worries me that an employer should have so much power over an employee's personal life. I can understand that businesses don't want their employees talking about work related issues online, but this seems too much of an infringement of freedom. I wonder how many of the bank's employees are on Facebook or Twitter? And how they would run their business if they sacked them all.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon January 10th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Without knowing more of the details, I would say that the only legal grounds this company has for firing this employee is if she had signed an employment contract that prohibited her from such activities.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Mon January 10th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Wow! Yet another reason I'm glad I'm not a banker!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon January 10th, 2011, 10:38 pm

I don't know if that was the case, or not. I'm just guessing, since I can't think of any other reason why they would fire her on those grounds and expect to get away with it.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue January 11th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Chase recently bought our mortage. In the last two years, both my credit cards have also been subsumed by them. They're a corporate monster stomping on the world and living off fees. I hope she wins her lawsuit.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Chat”