Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How do you arrange your books?

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sat January 8th, 2011, 6:43 am

In the main library (shared between SLOC & I) yhe books are alphabetical by author, then series order, the singletons in title alphabetical. The top shelf of each of the bookshelves are the non-fictions, and are fairly haphazardly organised (I'm a short-arse & can't reach them easily ;) )

And the other few bookshelves in the house (my retreat & the spare bedroom) are sorted alphabetical by author & series - these are my Girls-Own books & the historicals SLOC considers to be too "girly" to go in the main library. This isn't a reflection on the content of the book, just the covers... :o

And our respective TBR piles are just that - piles on the floor. They moved out of the loungeroom over Christmas, but are creeping back in.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat January 8th, 2011, 12:32 pm

I started off trying to keep the same author/series together, and to a certain extent the books on my actual shelves have kept to this - HOWEVER the numerous tbr piles are just that: random piles in no sort of order, which means that newcomers are always pushing their way in. I do keep meaning to get them in some sort of order, although I quite like the random haphazardness of it all too!
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat January 8th, 2011, 1:32 pm

1. By research for past and current WIPs.
2. By non-fiction according to century
3. Only a few contemporary works of fiction I plan to read or read a second time
4. Humor
5. Fine art books
6. Sentimentally kept books from childhood and teens

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 8th, 2011, 4:10 pm

I'm trying something new this year, because I have lots of books that have languished on the shelf for several years. New books seem to be more appealing and the older ones tend to get dustier and dustier.

I need to do that with my TBR shelves, and force myself to follow through.

I used to keep my books by genre: sci fi/fan, HF, general lit, non fiction, travel. Now all of my fiction is alphabetized by author, which makes it much easier to find a book. I have a different set of shelves for paper backs and hard backs (my DH made me custom fit shelves just so I can do this, bless his heart). I still separate my non fiction more or less: travel, history by country, Judaica, middle ages.

I also have a display case for my book collection, and have my art type books on the shelves of the entertainment center in the living room.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon January 17th, 2011, 3:41 am

I have most of the books on the shelves at this point. Does having five full shelves of royalty books and magazines confirm that I'm obsessed with royalty?
All the children's books are in place, including the YA books. My royalty books are done. Now I have to figure out what to do with general fiction and non-fiction.

I decided after reading everyone's replies that I might as well keep to my own crazy system, because everyone seems to have their own systems that work.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon January 17th, 2011, 7:57 am

Sometimes anywhere I can hide them! And I really mean hide them! I have too many books on shelves, in boxes, and sometimes when they arrive I hide them from my husband and slowly add them to the boxes so he doesn't notice... :o

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon January 17th, 2011, 9:31 am

LOL! Sometimes, if I've ordered a book via Amazon, I try to get to the post first and whisk away any book sized packages! :p :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Chat”