Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Prince William & Kate Middleton Are Finally Engaged

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:16 am

[quote=""Michy""]I think the only thing that can be safely predicted about Kate's wedding dress at this point, is that she will set the trend in wedding dresses, both in the UK and here, for the next 10 years, at least (just like Diana did back in the '80s). For myself, I am really sick of strapless wedding gowns, so I hope that Kate will bring sleeves back!![/quote]

I think she might as royal brides are usually more covered up. I hope she brings back sleeves too. When my cousin married a couple of years ago, she had trouble finding the style she wanted and ended up buying a strapless gown and then having a halterneck sewn on to it.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:37 am

The speculation about Diana's dress was endless, too. I remember at the time hearing that the designers wouldn't even throw away fabric scraps, for fear that someone would dig through the trash and find them and know what fabrics they were using (and it probably would have happened!). I've always wondered how they disposed of their scraps -- did they burn them? Or did they just wait and throw them away after the wedding?

I think that, with her looks and style and position, Kate's influence on fashion could last for decades, just like Diana's did. Back around the late '80s, I made a dress for a friend of mine who loved Diana and who wanted to copy a dress of hers to wear to a formal. We didn't copy it exactly, just the skirt, mostly. And then the guy my friend was supposed to go with dumped her at almost the last minute. I was nearly finished, so she asked me to finish the dress, anyway, and her dad still paid me (because I had spent HOURS on the dress!), but I always felt bad about it. She never wore the dress, and I think ended up giving it away.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:41 am

I think it's great news about the engagement.. and about the bank holiday. My inner royalist is coming out now!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun November 21st, 2010, 12:49 am

So will they get married on a week day? That is very kind of them, so that you can get an extra holiday out of it! Because if they got married on a weekend, most people would have the day off anyway, right? ;)

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sun November 21st, 2010, 1:01 am

[quote=""Michy""]So will they get married on a week day? That is very kind of them, so that you can get an extra holiday out of it! Because if they got married on a weekend, most people would have the day off anyway, right? ;) [/quote]

I guess so! They're talking about making it a holiday so that's another reason to celebrate! :)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun November 21st, 2010, 3:27 am

On ET they speculated that Kate will have her favourite Spanish designer (I think) do the gown, but maybe the "The Firm" will talk to her about doing a British designer which would boost the industry. Diana usually only wore British designers. Makes sense in a way.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun November 21st, 2010, 6:54 am

RE the dress -- I bet it will be a British designer, and I hope the materials are British as well. A while back I read about the current Queen's wedding dress, and all of the hush-hush over it, and the fact that it turned out to be a truly stunning outfit, with drop-dead handwork on it. I remember reading that it was all handwoven of Spitalfields silk -- I wonder if they are still in business.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun November 21st, 2010, 7:17 am

It looks like Kate's influence on fashion has already begun. I read this evening that the blue dress she wore for her engagement announcement -- it was sold out within hours.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun November 21st, 2010, 10:40 am

[quote=""Michy""]So will they get married on a week day? That is very kind of them, so that you can get an extra holiday out of it! Because if they got married on a weekend, most people would have the day off anyway, right? ;) [/quote]

If it's on a weekend, we'll get either the prior Friday or the following Monday off. It works that way for all holidays (aka bank holidays) which fall on a weekend, whereas I don't remember that being the case in the US (God, how bad is my memory?). For example, Christmas Day is on Saturday this year and Boxing Day (also a bank holiday here) is on Sunday so Monday and Tuesday become bank holidays in their place. That way, we never get cheated out of a day off.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun November 21st, 2010, 11:45 am

[quote=""Mythica""]If it's on a weekend, we'll get either the prior Friday or the following Monday off. It works that way for all holidays (aka bank holidays) which fall on a weekend, whereas I don't remember that being the case in the US (God, how bad is my memory?). For example, Christmas Day is on Saturday this year and Boxing Day (also a bank holiday here) is on Sunday so Monday and Tuesday become bank holidays in their place. That way, we never get cheated out of a day off.[/quote]

I should hope not, as apparently the UK has the least number of Bank Hols in Europe, and possibly outside it too :mad: so another day off is always welcome. Mind you I wonder if shop and restaurant staff will get that day off, all those extra people will be a golden retail/feeding opportunity, especially after the wedding's over and the crowds start to wander off.

You'd be surprised how many people do believe that Harry isn't Charles's son, even in my relatively small circle I can think of at least 3 people who are convinced he isn't! It's true he does resemble Diana's brother the most, but now he's getting older I think he's getting the Windsor jawline a bit, there was a pic of him at a Remembrance service the other week and there was definitely a hint of Charles there.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Chat”