Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

About those scam emails

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

About those scam emails

Post by Misfit » Fri October 15th, 2010, 2:17 pm

This one I just received is too good not to share,

THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT
ADCO COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN FUND PAYMENT
VERIFICATION AND RECONCILIATION
OFFICE OF THE FINANCIAL
ADVISER TO THE PRIME MINISTER
LONDON UK.

ATTENTION BENEFICIARY:

THIS IS TO OFFICIALLY INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE VERIFIED YOUR CONTRACT /INHERITANCE FILE AND FOUND OUT THAT WHY YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR PAYMENT IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT FULFILLED THE OBLIGATIONS GIVEN TO YOU IN RESPECT OF YOUR CONTRACT / INHERITANCE PAYMENT.

SECONDLY WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT YOU ARE STILL DEALING WITH THE NONE OFFICIALS IN THE BANK ALL YOUR ATTEMPT TO SECURE THE RELEASE OF THE FUND TO YOU. WE WISH TO ADVICE YOU THAT SUCH AN ILLEGAL ACT LIKE THIS HAVE TO STOP IF YOU WISHES TO RECEIVE YOUR PAYMENT SINCE WE HAVE DECIDED TO BRING A SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM.

RIGHT NOW WE HAVE ARRANGED YOUR PAYMENT THROUGH OUR SWIFT CARD /CHECK PAYMENT CENTER ASIA PACIFIC, THAT IS THE LATEST INSTRUCTION BY THE THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT DAVID CAMERON WHO WAS ELECTED IN ON THE 29TH MAY 2010 (GCFR) UK LONDON.

THIS CARD CENTER WILL SEND YOU AN ATM CARD / CHECK WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD, BUT THE MAXIMUM IS TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS PER DAY, SO IF YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND THIS WAY PLEASE LET US KNOW BY CONTACTING THE CARD PAYMENT CENTER AND ALSO SEND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

1.YOUR FULL NAME ------------------------------------------
2. PHONE AND FAX NUMBER, ----------------------------------
3. ADDRESS WERE YOU WANT THEM TO SEND THE ATM CARD / CHECK-----------------------
4. YOUR AGE
5. CURRENT OCCUPATION-------------------------
5. A COPY OF YOUR IDENTITY ATTACHED TO
6.Sex-------------------------------
E-MAIL-------------------------------

PAYMENT DEPARTMENT OFFICE IN LONDON
CONTACT PERSON: MR LAWSON MOORE
INTEGRATED PAYMENT DEPARTMENT
EMAIL [email protected]

THE ATM CARD / CHECK PAYMENT CENTER HAS BEEN MANDATED TO ISSUE OUT $4.7 million usd AS PART PAYMENT FOR THIS FISCAL YEAR 2009. WHICH YOU ARE ADVICE TO CONTACT NOW THAT THE NEW ELECTED PRESIDENT HAS TAKEN OVER THE GOVERNMENT FOR THE RELEASE OF YOUR FUND,ALSO FOR YOUR INFORMATION YOU HAVE TO STOP ANY FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OTHER PERSON(S) OR OFFICE(s). THIS IS TO AVOID ANY HITCHES IN FINALIZING YOUR PAYMENT.CALL ME ON MY DIRECT NUMBER IN THIS REGARDS AND ALSO UPDATE ME ON ANY DEVELOPMENT FROM THE ABOVE MENTIONED OFFICE.

NOTE: THAT BECAUSE OF IMPOSTORS, WE HEREBY ISSUED YOU OUR CODE OF CONDUCT, WHICH IS (118) SO YOU HAVE TO INDICATE THIS CODE WHEN CONTACTING THE CARD CENTER.(MR. TOM BENSON)
CHIEF AUDITOR TO THE PRESIDE.

ADCO COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN
FUND PAYMENT UK LONDON
ATM CARD PAYMENT FOR FUND BENEFICIARIES,
MR LAWSON MOORE
International Settlement Dept.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri October 15th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Love the $2500/day limit on withdrawals!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri October 15th, 2010, 6:00 pm

yes, I wishes to sign up!

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri October 15th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Interesting that this particular UK civil servant has such a tenuous grasp of his/her native language, and seems to prefer the US spelling of "centre".

We need an "Internet's Dumbest Scammers" TV show. This would take pride of place.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri October 15th, 2010, 7:48 pm

:D Lucky old you, Misfit. I think you should build a new wing for your library in honour of their faithful service.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 15th, 2010, 8:49 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""] :D Lucky old you, Misfit. I think you should build a new wing for your library in honour of their faithful service.[/quote]

Hehe, I am the recipient of the company's info@ email addy so I do pick up a few interesting ones on occasion. I also know how to look up the IP server from the email properties and the location of the sender. Usually its eastern Europe.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat October 16th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Ha ha! Like high goverment officals in the UK would really use Yahoo! emails for business.

I got one supposedly from the FBI once. I don't remember what they were supposedly investigating but the spelling was a dead giveaway, as usual.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat October 16th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Oh, my word, that is so hilarious. The second paragraph is totally pidgin English. And David Cameron is the "British Parliament" now, huh? I think someone needs to tell him -- and tell the British Parliament, as well!!! :D

I recall hearing about some scam email (or fax) going around a few years ago from the IRS. I don't know how many people fell for it, but having dealt with the IRS for many years in my profession, I can tell you that they NEVER communicate by email or by fax. You can respond to them by fax, but they will never respond back to you (or initiate communication with you) by fax. Or by telephone, either. (Unless things have changed very recently). So, I said all that to say...... if you ever receive an email or a fax from the IRS it is a scam.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun October 17th, 2010, 4:29 am

HA! I just got one of these today. Who would fall for this?! There's just no excuse. Even if you're older and not very experienced with the internet, I have to think that some warning bell would go off in your mind, especially with all of the programs on TV like Dateline.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Chat”