Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

About those scam emails

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri December 17th, 2010, 6:46 pm

With electronic banking, does anyone even use Western Union anymore? My guess would be that they're struggling to survive and certainly don't have $900,000 to give away, even if they wanted to.

This one asks you to scan your passport...... I wonder if the purpose of this scam is to collect data for use in making false ID documents??

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri December 17th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Western Union is still used if you want to send money overseas.

I just love how he uses "Dr." to sound official. And that Western Union uses Hotmail accounts.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri December 17th, 2010, 7:31 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Western Union is still used if you want to send money overseas.

I just love how he uses "Dr." to sound official. And that Western Union uses Hotmail accounts.[/quote]

Of course they would use Hotmail accounts. :)

It just scares me that people could really fall for this stuff.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 3:46 pm

Hello Sales Dept,
First,i will like to introduce my self shortly; my name is Mr Jack Smith,I am a successful business man based in the ( United States ). Meanwhile, Therefore I am so happy to e-mail you on behalf of my client.I will like to order some products directly from your company on behalf of my client and I will like the products ship to my client address in Jamaica ,Tokyo,Australasia. My client instructed me to use a particular shipping agent to handle their shipment due to the high charges and past lost of goods from other freight forwarders. Can you work hand in hand with my client freight personal agent? so they can Pickup the products directly from your location down to my client address in Tokyo,Jamaica and my payment will be remitted via Visa/Master Card issued in US bank. So please let me know if you can assist me with the order,and please do not forget to include your website in your reply.Your quick response will be highly appreciated,I will be very glad if you treat this email with good concern.I hope this is okay by you ? Please advise back with your website or pricing list so we can proceed.
Thanks,

Mr Jack Smith,
ADDRESS: 1371 M St NW,
Washington, DC 20007
United States.
Probably for the best that the lads at the sales counter didn't see it. They might have been tempted...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 6:19 pm

I've always wanted to visit Australasia.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Fri February 25th, 2011, 11:51 am

Tis very pretty usually - or at least the Australia part is... :D

I find these email scams hugely amusing to read, bad grammar and all.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 7th, 2011, 3:32 pm

You just never know what's going to show in the company's info@ addy. Today's choices,
Hello,

If you are looking for new business partners, we recommend you to order our new databases with contact details of companies from Eastern Europe.

Also we offer a database with contact details of Russian millionaires if you want to sell luxury products or real estate.

Please visit our website for additional information.

Greetings from Russia,

S. Petrov,
ZakMedia.
Commercial land with a variety of licenses at an attractive price in Qatar

Ad Number F/2/2011

Vacant land located on the main road north of Doha, 10 km and an area of approximately 30000 square meters, has an number of commercial licenses (car wash, petrol station, a residential hostel, Shops)

For serious, please send to following e-mail

[email protected]

The name of the buyer or his representative with the number of ad above-mentioned..

Exclusive to ABDM, No Brokers/Mediators Please.

Email: [email protected]

Doha – Qatar

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 21st, 2011, 2:40 pm

Ok, so we had to know Libya was going to get into the mix sooner or later :p :o :confused:
ATTN: TO THE PROSPECTIVE TRUSTEE,

I WRITE YOU IN STRICT CONFIDENCE.

MY NAME IS MALLAM ARAM MUZAB, A CONFIDENTIAL PARTNER TO SAIF ALH AL-ISLAM GADDAFI, SON OF LIBYA 'S LEADER, COLONEL MUAMMAR GADDAFI.

I WISH TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE POINT.

MAY I KNOW IF YOU CAN DEAL WITH ME IN MUTUAL CONFIDENTIALITY. CAN YOU BE TRUSTED TO SECURE SOME FUND, AS A TRUSTEE, FOR MUTUAL DISBURSEMENT AND SUBSEQUENT INVESTMENTS?

THE FAMILY TREASURES/FUNDS, IN QUESTION, ARE DEPOSITED IN BANKS AND SECURITY COMPANIES IN VARIOUS PLACES IN EUROPE, ASIA AND AFRICA. WE'VE OVER $500 MILLIONS UNITED STATES DOLLARS(USD). DETAILS WILL BE GIVEN IN CONFIDENCE IF I GET YOUR POSITIVE REACTION TO THIS MESSAGE.

SINCE THE UN, EU AND THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA HAVE DECLARED THEIR SPECIAL CONCERN AND INTEREST IN THE AFFAIRS OF THE EMBATTLED GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE OF LIBYA, INTERNATIONAL SEARCH HAS BEEN GOING ON REGARDING THE FAMILY FORTUNES, OR THE SO-CALLED EMBEZZELED WEALTH, OF THE GADDAFIS; FOR FREEZING OR CONFISCATION; IN RESPONSE TO THE HUES AND CRY OF THE LIBYAN MASSES.

PLEASE, DO INDICATE IF WE CAN WORK TOGETHER, IN MUTUAL CONFIDENTIALITY, FOR THE RE-TRANSFER OF THE FUNDS, RUNNING IN SEVERAL MILLIONS OF USD, FOR SECURITY, DISBURSEMENT AND INVESTMENT.

THE RE-TRANSFERRED FUNDS CAN BE EFFECTED IN YOUR FAVOUR AND UNDER YOUR SECURITY, WITHIN THE CAPACITY YOU AND YOUR BANKS CAN HANDLE, WITHOUT ANY EXPOSURE AND WILL EVENTUALLY BE DISBURSED IN THE RATIO OF 30% TO YOU AND 70% TO ME, FOR THE GHADDAFI FAMILY, PRIOR TO INVESTMENTS, AS THE NEED ARISES.
ALL THE NECESSARY DOCUMENTATIONS FOR THE SAFE AND SMOOTH TRANSFER OF THE FUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED, AS WE PROGRESS

FURTHER DETAILS WILL BE GIVEN TO YOU WHEN I HEAR FROM YOU POSITIVELY.
PLS, YOU MUST TREAT THIS MESSAGE WITH THE HIGHEST CONFIDENTIALITY THAT IT DEMANDS.

YOU MAY CHANNEL YOUR RESPONSE, VIA:

EMAIL: [email protected]

REGARDS,

MALLAM ARAM MUZAB

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon March 21st, 2011, 3:52 pm

I call your attention to the advert for this scammer's conference held in 2003
http://j-walk.com/other/conf/

Just don't be having a drink at the time! :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 21st, 2011, 4:55 pm

Posted by Misfit
Ok, so we had to know Libya was going to get into the mix sooner or later
Oh goodie- a Libyan version of the Nigerian scam! I remain amazed that people keep falling for this stuff :(

Return to “Chat”