Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book disposal

laktor
Reader

Book disposal

Post by laktor » Wed October 6th, 2010, 2:45 am

I'm wondering what all of you do with your books after you've read them? Do you keep them somewhere in your home, give them to friends to read, donate them to an organization, give them to used book stores....etc? I live in a very small place, so I don't have much room. I need to get rid of most of my books, so I'm thinking of finding one of those used book stores that have a sign in their window saying "we buy books". I know I won't get much, but I've found some good reads in these places, so why not?

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Wed October 6th, 2010, 3:01 am

It's very rare I keep them after I've read them....only the few that I deem "re-read" worthy.

I set aside some for friends and the rest go on BookMooch or Paperback Swap. Any left over that can't go out the door that direction get sent to Goodwill.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 6th, 2010, 3:02 am

I keep almost all the nonfiction I read. Even if a book's worthless in itself as a reference source, it comes in handy for leading me to other sources--and sometimes for tracking down the source of misinformation! I keep most of the novels I read too, unless I really hated a novel or if it's a review book set in an era that I'm not particularly interested in and that I doubt I'll read again. If the novel's not very thick and in good shape, I'll list it on Paperback Swap, otherwise I just donate it to the library and take the tax deduction.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Wed October 6th, 2010, 4:19 am

[quote=""JMJacobsen""]It's very rare I keep them after I've read them....only the few that I deem "re-read" worthy.

I set aside some for friends and the rest go on BookMooch or Paperback Swap. Any left over that can't go out the door that direction get sent to Goodwill.[/quote]

Hmmm...never heard of Bookmooch or Paperback Swap. I'll have to check them out.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 6th, 2010, 4:26 am

Lately I've been reading more from the library, so of course this isn't an issue. But of the books I do buy, I only keep the ones I really, really like and anticipate wanting to re-read someday. It's not that I don't have the space, it's just that I don't want books to take over my house! :eek: Of the ones I don't keep (I try to be discriminating in my purchases so that there aren't too many in this category), I do the same as boswell: donate them to the library and take a tax deduction.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Wed October 6th, 2010, 4:35 am

I have never re-read a novel, no matter how much I loved it. There are just too many books out there that I'd like to read. Being a member of this site has made me aware of more authors and novels to try and there's always new books coming out from authors I've enjoyed in the past and books that just catch my eye in the bookstores. So there's just no time to re-read anything...at least for me. I've donated books to the library before, when I moved into a smaller place, so I may do that again. But I just HAVE to get rid of some books I have. I just have no room around here to keep them!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 6th, 2010, 4:49 am

[quote=""laktor""]Hmmm...never heard of Bookmooch or Paperback Swap. I'll have to check them out.[/quote]

There's a thread about them here:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=2234

I've got some interesting things from PaperbackSwap--I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the titles on my wish list there that have turned up.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Wed October 6th, 2010, 5:26 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]There's a thread about them here:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=2234

I've got some interesting things from PaperbackSwap--I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the titles on my wish list there that have turned up.[/quote]

Many thanks!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed October 6th, 2010, 7:22 am

I either give them to friends or list them on a book swapping site like BookHopper or BookMooch. I used to sell them on Amazon but it's not always worth it these days as after Amazon have taken their cut, there's not enough left to cover the postage!!

I've also donated my books to my daughter's school, etc.

However, if I've really enjoyed a book, I sometimes keep it, especially my historical fiction ones! :) I can't keep too many otherwise the house would be top to toe in books. LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed October 6th, 2010, 9:06 am

I have to admit to being a hoarder and keep almost all of the books I've read. Needless to say, I'm rapidly running out of room. I occasionally give them to charity shops, bazaars etc. And I do give some away to friends. But if I liked it at all, I tend to hang on to it.

Return to “Chat”